Fruit Fly horror

• 4 Replies

mrs bouquet

Fruit Fly horror
« on: July 10, 2021, 14:11 »
Since my kitchen floor has two holes in it which are exposing the rotten wood and the ground some 2 ft below, which was several inches deep in water. I have been inundated with the small black flies.    My fruit is currently is the 'fridge and there is no food out. My drains are bleached everyday.  On that basis I have to assume that they are coming from the the rotten debris in my kitchen.  Reading about them has indicated that they can, in fact be a health hazard and cause tummy upsets.  I have tried fly spray, but in doesn;t really make a lot of difference.  They are attracted to the windows and computer screen, but becoming more so.      The holes have got a large sheet of very thick ply over but it is not secured.  I expect the drying machines will arrive next week, but have been told the drying  will take 3/4 weeks.  They are obviously breeding like - well, flies.    Any ideas on a temporary measure please.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Fruit Fly horror
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 16:31 »
A few things here.

• Are you sure they are fruit flies? Fruit flies typically have striped brown bodies, like a miniature house fly. Some have red eyes, some have black eyes.  Clearly attracted to fruit.   Or are they black, skinny bodied? Those could be fungus gnats, these will be attracted to damp / wet soil.  Third choice, are they possibly drain flies, which have dark wings, tan or gray fuzzy bodies? Drain flies are attracted to wet drains. Fruit flies and drain flies are 1/8th inch long, fungus gnats are a little smaller
  • Assuming they are fruit flies, they are easy to trap.  Get an empty jar, place a small piece of fruit in the jar (or a banana peel should work also; remember time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana  :)).  Instead of the usual lid, cover the opening with either a piece of aluminium foil, or clingy plastic wrap.  Poke one hole in the foil (or wrap), roughly 4 or 5 mm across (a bit larger than the fly).  Fruit flies will flock to this trap.  A few times a day, take the trap outdoors and shake the flies out, then put the trap back where you had it.  Keep repeating until the flies are gone.  Fly sprays are not not likely to work, as you can't spray poisons on fruit which might be eaten by a person!
  • If the problem is fungus gnats, you may need a professional to get rid of the damp/wet problem first, then a pest control professional to treat the gnats.  If the problem is drain flies, try this web site for solutions: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/pest-control/21339927/how-to-get-rid-of-drain-flies

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 16:48 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 17:31 »
Would those yellow sticky traps you hang up in greenhouses be an idea? 

Just hang them well out of your way so you don’t get caught Mrs B   :)

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 17:43 »
Gaffa tape around the ply edges, yellow sticky things and a UV bug zapper to make them go pop.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 21:31 »
If you capture some you could put a piccy on here

xx
Shock, horror - a Chinese balloon

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post February 10, 2023, 15:23
by Subversive_plot
xx
Noisy veg and fruit...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post November 25, 2019, 14:44
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 44 queries.