What am I supposed to watch on the TV?

• 54 Replies

wighty

What am I supposed to watch on the TV?
« on: September 21, 2020, 19:24 »
I don't 'do' soaps or football.  Everything just seems to be a  repeat of what we watched six months ago.  I know they've had problems filming new stuff but surely there must be some other stuff in their back catalogue that they could put  on.  The films  were only shown recently.  I now have the radio on a lot more than I used to.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What am I supposed to watch on the TV?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 20:35 »
Yes, I agree with you, I seem to be watching dvds I bought years ago, rather than anything on TV  ::)
Mind you they are rerunning Inspector George Gently, which I loved first time around..

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 21:10 »
Obviously big problems creating new programmes this year.  :(

If you have internet access Wighty, there is a huge back catalogue of material available online now going back far longer than 6 months via the respective TV apps (there has to be something there you either missed first time round or would love to watch again...)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 21:24 »
Quizzy Mondays are back  :D

Only Connect started a new series this evening, followed by Uni Challenge.  I love having absolutely no idea about any of the answers  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 06:30 »
Aaaaah, but don't forget that it takes nearly 60,000 licence fees to pay just 33 bods at the BBC for a year!

That money could have been used to make some decent progs, they had to make some cuts...

GraciesGran

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 06:54 »
Yorkie  I know the feeling, although we did manage to get two correct answers in Only Connect last night, more than the entire previous series.

Lack of decent TV not been too much of a problem so far but now evenings are closing in its a different story.  Have a NOW stick which has given access to quite a lot.  Just starting a rerun of Death in Paradise. 

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 12:23 »
I know all of Mon.Poirot's dialogue inside out.   !! Vet programmes, life on farms,  something actually funny would be nice.   I only have basic tv and basic freeview, but when I look at what I am missing on all the others, I don't think I am missing much.    Like Wighty, no soaps, no football, and no effing and blinding - difficult.
What exactly did I pay my licence for  :unsure: :unsure:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

GraciesGran

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 17:51 »
Mrs Bouquet, we pay our licence to support poor impoverished celebrities.

MrsPea

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 18:41 »
We have Netflix and Prime always something to watch  :D
I Love my green house

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 18:42 »
I'll probably get modded for this, but Mrs Growster and I are fed up to the back teeth with the dross which is churned up by the BBC these days.

We're probably going to cancel our TV tax soon, as we never watch the stuff, and prefer to see DVDs of great programmes that we've loved over the years - some even by the BBC, but nowadays, the progs they're doing are just unwatchable as far as we're concerned!

wighty

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 21:18 »
Watching Bake off at the moment.  Also like another slice which is on on Friday, but otherwise???

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 08:22 »
We’ve recently watched the new series of Strike that was good, I also watched bake-off last night & just because it was Sandi Toksvig on after wards carried on to watch Write Offs (I think that was what it was called) that was excellent, very interesting & very moving & I’ll be watching the next episode either when it is aired or will stream it tonight. It was about 8 adults of varying ages who had difficulty reading. Life is so difficult in so many ways. Well worth a watch even if it’s not ‘your thing’. I was in the education/care provision for 40 years & had never really considered how it might fully impact on someone’s lives. Sandi’s son was severely dyslexic & hence I suppose why she got involved, our son was diagnosed as dyslexic at last year of junior school after I’d been telling them there was a discrepancy in his reading & his intelligence since he began learning to read.  Luckily he did learn but still has difficulties but is a very skilled engineer, so it’s not down to lack of intelligence.
Have I sold it to you yet lol :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growing Weather

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 08:27 »
The Talking Pictures channel is very good for people of a certain age.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 08:42 »
We’ve recently watched the new series of Strike that was good,
Yes, I forgot about Strike, that was excellent and I've also been watching the Diagnosis Detectives and George Clarke's National Trust Unlocked...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 09:24 »
If you have Amazon Prime, it is well worth looking at the Fire Stick.  You get Prime TV, which has hundreds of series and films.  It is a one-off cost and plugs into the back of your TV.  I think you can use it without Prime, but that opens up lots of extras.

Netflix is also pretty good, but you do have to pay extra for the apps that let you stream the shows. 

It might be worth investigating sooner rather than later,  if you would want someone round to help you set it up.  We set it up for my mum a while back, before the pandemic.   She only had basic TV and Freeview before that.  It has such a boon for her while shielding. and she found lots of stuff she really enjoyed. 

I only watch the BBC if OH has it on for the news or the breakfast show, but I have a tolerance level of about 5 minutes before I get sick of the bias and blame game and go and find something else to do  ::)

xx
Word we arent supposed to mention

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2023, 08:59
by Goosegirl
xx
Watch out for the con men

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post April 29, 2020, 15:08
by Growster...
xx
Bird watch

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

144 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 19:59
by greenjay
xx
Pandemic films to watch

Started by Longshanks on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2021, 10:28
by basketcase

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 55 queries.