Have I done the right thing ?

• 8 Replies

mrs bouquet

Have I done the right thing ?
« on: October 27, 2019, 13:59 »
Since the toilet has had the leak stopped, I have managed to pull up four of the loose vinyl tiles around it.   I have checked the very blackened chip board with a screw-driver and it is not soft at all.  The fanlight window is open a little bit, and I have put an electric fan heater, as close as is safe, to start drying it out.

Is this the best way to go ?    :unsure: :unsure:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

grinling

Re: Have I done the right thing ?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 17:18 »
Upstairs or downstairs loo?
Black stuff is mould.
We replaced a bathroom,taking up floor, underneath joists fine, replace with plywood and lino.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 22:35 »
It is the upstair one.     I am just hoping that having passed the screwdriver test, it will be ok.    The carpet fitter/flooring guy comes on Tuesday AM, so I hope he will put me on the right road.  thanks,  Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 17:54 »
I like your idea of a 'screwdriver test', Mrs B! That should be a Barry Bucknall theme!

Sounds fine to me, you'd soon know if the leak made the boards rot! Anyway, the leak would have come from the back or the side, as that's where the pan meets the outflow pipe. The actual loo can't leak, unless it's cracked!

You'll be fine, never fear! Your seat is safe:0)

(Unlike a lot of others in Westminster, but we don't talk about that here)!

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 17:21 »
A lot of vinyl tile adhesive was black , with a bit of luck the tile has separated from the adhesive but the adhesive has protected the chipboard.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 11:01 »
the good news is, that I have had an electric fan on it, and it only seems to have affected 4 tiles, it did look very black underneath them, but the blackness has gone now, and obviously the leaking ubend has been replaced.  The carpet man came yesterday, and was pleased I had kept the tiles and laid them flat.   He is going to re-stick them and then he has a good base to put vinyl on top.   He is also going to steam the landing carpet, which still has the crease marks from the electricians ripping it up.  Also he is going to make good the carpet door bars, (yes, the electricians !), so it will be new vinyl, 3 door bars, a flat landing carpet, and no frayed carpet edges.  £300.    I don't know if that is good or not, as it is not the sort of thing I buy every day  :D.  thanks for your replies,  Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 06:15 »
Seems fine to me, Mrs B! Money's about right for quite a bit of 'faffing' plus labour, travel etc, and a little profit of course.

He seems to be the sort of chap who sorts out issues where others have caused them, and as he's already working for you, you can rest easy I reckon!

Well done that Gal!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 10:23 »
At this moment in time, I have left a message with the carpet/vinyl man and put him off.    The reason, my best friend had a man in to steam out her "carpet coggles"  he also said he would mend the little wooden flap on the tv cabinet for her.   The carpet dried out and the coggles are still there and next time she opened the tv recorder flap, it fell off in her hand.     It transpired it was the SAME MAN  :ohmy: :ohmy:    Back to square one on the carpets etc.    Meanwhile the tv aerial man is here now, he has just shown me a picture of it up on the chimney, all knackered, new aerial etc.   Will it never end  ?   :unsure:  Mrs B

Christine

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 17:20 »
Will it never end  ?   :unsure:  Mrs B
It's one of the pleasures of living in a house.  :lol:

xx
Hello - is this thing on?

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

21 Replies
Last post March 26, 2021, 08:31
by JayG
xx
Just how do you get every thing done in the garden.

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2023, 11:49
by LILLILEAF
xx
Daftest thing you nearly did lately

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2019, 17:05
by sospan
xx
What's the daftest thing you did lately?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post January 27, 2019, 14:28
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 47 queries.