Bird watch

• 142 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2021, 11:15 »
The ruby-throated hummingbirds left us in early April, I suspect they were some stopping off on their migration further north.

Others have returned now, these are behaving like they intend to stay. We have 3 feeders out, and when the hummingbirds are not having dogfights, they are feeding from all three.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mrs bouquet

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2021, 14:47 »
I have never seen a humming-bird for real, except in an aviary.    They must be fun to watch.  Enjoy,   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2021, 07:48 »
Since I no longer have my mother’s cats I’ve started feeding the birds again, I’ve had the feeder in a few places & now seem to have found the place the birds are comfortable with  :D and I can still reach it to fill it, they’re not yet eating me out of house & home, but recently I’ve spotted 1 or 2 robins, a starling,a bluetit & couple of blackbirds or so I thought but my neighbour informs me that the one that has a few white feathers on its neck is called something else a something wurzel or something like that, you might know ?
Plus we keep getting a little wren flitting down to the pond edge & disappearing under a plant a few times a day.

The "wurzel" is in fact a Ring Ouzel. They are a species of the Thrushes (Turdidae) family as per the Blackbird. They do not feed at bird tables. Currently, Ring Ouzels are migrating through Britain to their moorland breeding grounds. The black bird with the white feathers is a leucism Blackbird. 

Edit to clarify quote 

Isn’t it funny how it happens when you’ve never heard of a place or name etc & then you hear it lots. Last week or the week before on Country file there was a piece on the Ring Ouzel lol so now I’m very well informed should I ever see one. Thank you again GB
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2021, 20:19 »
A birds nest in our Rhubarb.  A first and no harvesting at this moment in time!
Screenshot_20210612-092546_Gallery.jpg
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

mrs bouquet

« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2021, 12:00 »
A few days ago a Sparrow Hawk was sitting on my wall at the bottom of the garden.   I have seen him there just once before.  He dived off the wall, into the garden behind me which is a bit wild.  I thought he had spotted a mouse or something.    A little while later, another was sitting on the wall, but I couldn't identify if it was a female or maybe a baby.      A privilege and I spent a good while just watching with my "bins" well focused.  Mrs Bouquet

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2021, 12:29 »
This year there doesn't seem to be as many sparrows as usual, but I've really noticed more Robins in the garden, and on the allotments.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2021, 11:45 »
Lots of sparrow gangs.  But not sure if I have seen a robin.   My neighbour feeds in the in open, so it is mainly crows and wood pigeons.  I don't know why she does it.    Sometimes a blackbird comes for a bath.  Magpies also.

snowdrops

« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2021, 14:11 »
Finally heard the red kites again & managed to locate them way up on high, but by the time I’d got the binoculars focused they’d gone :(. Not seen or heard them this year I don’t think, last year they went over almost like clockwork 11am & then back again at 4pm, but today it was about 1:30pm.
Sadly last night I found a dead bird on the grass, looked like it could be a young Robin.
I’m getting a few sparrows on the feeders most days & there is a Robin who visits regularly but nothing as regularly as the collared dove/pigeon.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 14:13 by snowdrops »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2021, 17:02 »
About 4pm I took my coffee down the garden, and as I looked up I saw the two Buzzard.  They seem to be here every year about this time and stay until October.  They may be here all the time, but that is when I see them.
I did the same rushed in for bin's and when I came back out I couldn't see them.   They really are huge.  Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2021, 17:41 »
They're fabulous birds, Mrs B!

Years ago, I was living in Wales, and they were always perched on telegraph poles in the Brecon Beacons and around there!

We do have a few close by, but rarely see them as they roost in the woods a mile or so away!

Their 'fingers' are a delight to see!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2021, 13:40 »
The sparrow hawk was sitting on the fence again today.  there are a few neglected gardens around, so I am sure he must be happy here.  Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2021, 18:14 »
We get a family of ravens which love the bell tower of the church nearby, but in fact, roost in the pitched roof of a neighbour's house!

They'll grab any bread going, and while they're 'bullies' for much of the time, they are good for the stale bread we give them, and we rather like them as they look great when their young are around! Our JRT hates them and barks every time she sees them plundering the bird table!

A chum had an uncle who was a local vicar, and he taught a tame bird to say 'Nice sermon', as nobody else thought he was that good...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2022, 09:14 »
Came across this tree full of black vultures on last night's walk. Our little dog finds any large black bird absolutely fascinating.
IMG_20220125_172316155.jpg

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2022, 12:49 »
The summer visitors are back. Heard the cuckoo today and also noticed the house Martins swooping and diving.

Rob the rake

Re: Bird watch 2018
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2022, 02:25 »
Robinahood,what a treat, I would love to see a kingfisher.

As a lifelong angler I've often had the company of kingfishers. The resident birds on one small lake complex regularly landed on the tip of any rods in rests extending beyond the reeds and using them as a perch from which to launch themselves at the local tiddler population. When I say resident, I assume that they were resident on the little river/beck close by but weren't above slumming it on the fishing lakes!

On one memorable occasion, whilst walking the banks of the Ouse near York, armed with  pike spinning rod and net, a kingfisher set up shop mere feet away atop a bankside bush and proceeded to give me a fishing lesson. Its dives into the water were so rapid that it seemed to disappear and reappear on its perch without any intervening time having passed at all. This continued for perhaps a half hour before it moved on, although in line with other magical experiences like this, it seemed to happen in a realm outside of normal time. It was truly enchanting.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 22:57 by Rob the rake »
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

xx
Great British Bird Watch 2024

Started by Ali T on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post January 29, 2024, 16:54
by mrs bouquet
xx
Watch out for the con men

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post April 29, 2020, 15:08
by Growster...
xx
What am I supposed to watch on the TV?

Started by wighty on Chatting on the Plot

54 Replies
Last post October 13, 2020, 12:12
by mrs bouquet
xx
What is the one Christmas film you have to watch?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post December 27, 2019, 12:07
by WeavingGryphon

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 52 queries.