Adding quails and chickens

• 3 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Adding quails and chickens
« on: August 04, 2010, 15:19 »
So when my new eglu cube arives I  will have room for a few more birds I would like a blue egg layer. any sugestions about breeds? and thinking about quail can the live with chickens if not I'll stick with the chickens any thoughts about getting them to get on without too much trouble I've heard putting the new bird in at night is a good idea
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Casey76

Re: Adding quails and chickens
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 15:41 »
Quail should be housed in a permanent aviary style run with a roof as they have a tendancy to take off vertically when surprised (and this seems to be their main purpose in life! lol)

Remember quail are very small compared to chickens (one can fit in the palm of your hand), so would need to be kept separately for their own protection.

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 21:08 »
Quails and chickens do not really go together well in my experience. I hatched some quail and chicks together and they were fine up until around 5 weeks, then the chucks began to bully them to i split them.

Araucanas and cream legbars are your best bet for blue eggs.

Steve

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 21:44 »
araucanas are the only true blue egg layers but there are several hybrids that have been bred using the araucana as the base for the egg colour. Araucanas come in lots of colours black (my favourite), black red, lavender (the most popular) and lavender barred, white, crele, cuckoo, blue and blue red, pyle, spangled, silver duckwing and gold duckwing - all of which come in bantam and large fowl, plus there is also the rumpless version but these generally are in America.
Sexing araucanas can be difficult so if you want very young birds then you may be better off with cream legbars as these are colour sexed at birth - however the colour of the eggs can be more of an olive colour or a very light blue really more of a tinted blue rather than a blue colour (of course there are exceptions to this). Cream legbars evolved from crossing brown leghorns, barred rocks and araucanas (the eggs and the top knot are the araucana part).
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Quails and Chickens

Started by merlin12 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 07:41
by chicken soup
xx
chickens and quails

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 22:21
by Chookiechook
smiley
chickens and quails

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 22:59
by grenhouse
xx
Are quails noisey to keep? Also can you put them in the same run as chickens?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post February 03, 2012, 08:58
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 37 queries.