Growing Quickly?

• 5 Replies

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Growing Quickly?
« on: July 23, 2009, 12:44 »
Hi

Is it just me or are things growing more quickly this year.  This is only our second year growing veg and things seem different this year.  Things were all planted about the same time as last year.

The spuds have not flowered, buds formed and dropped off, plants have died back (same variety as last year) but loads of spuds when dug - great.  One plant out of 50 odd of the maincrop has flowered and plants already appear to be coming to the end of growing period - not checked what the spuds are like though

Mangetout are more stringy, even when picked small?

Tried some autumn calabrese for the first time followed instructions and they are meant to be ready in Sept/Oct - they are ready with small heads and then quickly flowering.

Generally things seem to growing well though so I am not complaining at all really just a bit confused.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

willnbirdie

devondave

Re: Growing Quickly?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 13:59 »
Because of the warm weather and the amount of rain it has meant a very good growing season, I live on a farm and the farmer has said its the best year for a while, all we need is a very cold winter to kill off all the nasties we dont want to survive and things could be good for next year as well.  All the stuff I have grown has been really good, the spuds taste fantastic, my purple runners are very tasty and the dwarf beans keep producing.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 16:28 »
yep things are far better than last year,ive had some of my best stuff for a while and everything has done well.
The only thing was things were getting ready that fast my pea crop didnt last long  :(

Christine

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 16:28 »
Yes the hedges round the allotments are a paid in various parts of the anatomy this year.  :wacko:

madcat

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 18:44 »
Is it just me or are things growing more quickly this year.  This is only our second year growing veg and things seem different this year. 

Last year was terrible!!!  >:( So this year was bound to be better  ???  And it is!!! :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Bombers

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 23:06 »
My report....So far so good.  :) Just picked the first few french beans today for tea.  with the last of the mange tout and the ubiquitous courgette. ::) The only thing that has been dissapointing is the outdoor cucumber.
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

xx
Help! New Plot - How to attack it quickly?

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post April 06, 2014, 12:39
by Yorkie
xx
Help please newbit here lol, soil drying out quickly in 'plastic' greenhouse

Started by blackcat on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 13:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
wow...its all growing ......

Started by topsy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 21:06
by Trillium
xx
What veg are best for growing here?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 06:33
by Kagganz

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 39 queries.