Advice please on removing grass.

• 48 Replies

Riala

Re: Advice please on removing grass.
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 17:45 »
Tried Silent Roar, did nothing.

Oh, they do not get into the greenhouses, they are only 4 tier things.  No no, these cat's mess on my paving slabs, door step, Potato planters, everywhere and anywhere.

Yabba

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 17:54 »
Ahhh, currently our cat uses the planters as a bed, but when it starts thinking "ohh I know where...." I normally shove loads of sticks in ...... the pots that is :roll:

No idea how to stop them going on your paving/door step sorry.

¥

FCG

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 00:06 »
Step 1: Buy chickens
Step 2: Put chickens on grass
Step 3: Notice significant lack of grass
Step 4: Profit!

:D

Riala

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 09:32 »
You want me to buy chickens, in a No-Pet rental, that is plagued by cats?  :ohmy:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 20:08 »
 :D Well they will get id of both the grass and the cats !
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Riala

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 10:31 »
We are moving.

The cats became too much of a problem.  After nearly a year of putting up with it, we have given in.

With the summer months heading our way, the smell is becoming atrocious!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 11:08 »
All joking aside Riala I really feel for you, terrible having to move home because of an inconsiderate pet owner. :(
Personally I feel cats should be kept indoors at night, mine are always in by about 9pm at the latest.

But what ever we keep it's unfair to make our pets someone else's problem.

I hope your next home has all the things you are looking for and I really do wish you luck with it.

Riala

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 11:10 »
At least I had a paved yard, so nothing was 'dug in' in that sense. 

Everything is seedling stage, so I can place the pots into my Baker trays and boxes for the move!

Damn cats... such a nice house we are in as well. Nevermind.

vetskh

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2009, 20:19 »
am really sorry to hear that you've had to move for this problem. Sounds like you've really tried your best. I bet you'll find a lovely new house to move into. crossed fingers.   :)

jaffa_cakes

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 08:40 »
Just read this post, it's terrible that you're having to move and I think you've been very patient with your neighbour.

I suspect that the Council could do something, but you might have to complain on a regular basis and really make the Council listen.  Not Env H?  Try Planning (may be something in buiding regs), or Social services, or even your GP as this is a health issue.   This may even be time to get the local press involved.  Tell your neighbour what you're going to do and he may change his tune.

Does he have a garden?  How about buying him a 'cat nip' plant, sorry don't know what they are called.  Even if it's in a pot; one of those plants might encourage the cats to stay at home. In fact, you could leave one outside his front door (or hide it somewhere close by but not close to your garden)  Also you could buy your neighbour a grow-bag and plant grass in it.

If he refuses (probably he's quite happy his pets are *not* pooing in *his* garden) then that is another complaint to take to the Council.

What about other neighbours?  Do they have problems or just you?  Is there something in your garden the cats are going for (just the grass?)  If other neighbours are also having problems then get them to complain too.

Looking forward to seeing you in the papers!  Don't give up, there is an answer, you've just not found it yet.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009, 09:22 »
That's a lot of suggestions, JC, good thinking.  Riala has now found an alternative place to live, but this problem may still affect others

It's always worth approaching other services but - apart from neighbour mediation services - in the circumstances Riala described, the council have no powers to take action.  This doesn't come within Env H or Planning.

Cats are recognised as creatures which are not easily subject to control, unlike dogs. 

Social services have no power to get involved unless the person causing the nuisance is doing so for reasons which would justify SS support.  I very much doubt a GP will start getting involved in this.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Riala

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 09:51 »
This is why I love this forum, you are all so kind and helpful! 

The house fell through, so we have to stick it out here a while longer.

Just read this post, it's terrible that you're having to move and I think you've been very patient with your neighbour.

I suspect that the Council could do something, but you might have to complain on a regular basis and really make the Council listen.

Apparently there is nothing they can do, but they are aware of them man in question as they have had complaints before.

Not Env H?  Try Planning (may be something in buiding regs), or Social services, or even your GP as this is a health issue.

Again, it is out of everyone's hands, no one will listen. and Env H were extremely rude to me and told me to write my MP if I wanted the law changed in this matter, but not to hold any hopes of that ever happening.

This may even be time to get the local press involved.  Tell your neighbour what you're going to do and he may change his tune.

Something I have been seriously considering, at the same time, we are a quiet couple that do not want any attention.

Does he have a garden?  How about buying him a 'cat nip' plant, sorry don't know what they are called.  Even if it's in a pot; one of those plants might encourage the cats to stay at home. In fact, you could leave one outside his front door (or hide it somewhere close by but not close to your garden)  Also you could buy your neighbour a grow-bag and plant grass in it.

If he refuses (probably he's quite happy his pets are *not* pooing in *his* garden) then that is another complaint to take to the Council.

He does have a garden, he has a bit specifically for the cats to dodo in, he turns it over every day, and tells me to throw the poo over our 7ft adjoining fence... not something I WANT to do.  I do not want poo in my garden in the first place!

What about other neighbours?  Do they have problems or just you?  Is there something in your garden the cats are going for (just the grass?)  If other neighbours are also having problems then get them to complain too.

Looking forward to seeing you in the papers!  Don't give up, there is an answer, you've just not found it yet.

As far as I can tell, it is also the neighbours, as I some times hear them screaming "F**king cats have done it again", which is also my general response when I see any on my paving stones... I said a lot worse when they had dug up and messed in one of my seed trays.

I might write anon to the paper... try and word it so that it doesn't sound like us, omit street names and things like that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:54 by Riala »

jaffa_cakes

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 13:27 »
It sounds like your neighbour is disturbing their patch.  By turning the soil it's not really giving the cats a chance to establish themselves.  Would he leave the patch untouched for a few days?  Just like litter training they need undisturbed scent.

Another option would be to provide a litter tray in your garden, someone suggested that before?.  OK, OK, I *know* that really goes against the grain, but at least you might manage to control them a bit more.  Who knows, their owner might get a bit miffed that they are spending more time in your garden than in his.

Speak to your other neighbours and go round en-mass, agree to all do the same thing (collect cat poo and leave it on his doorstep every day).

Speak to the cat protection league, they might have some interesting ideas.

Good luck!

Riala

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 16:02 »
As I have previously said.  We have tried everything and anything, legal or otherwise!  CPL were no help either.  Gave me the usual "orange peel, mothballs, water in plastic bottles.. etc" advice.

He leaves it for a few days, then turns it.  Poo on his doorstep might actually work, but it would make the street stink even more.

He leaves his wheely bin on the pavement because he claims. "it stinks his garden"

jaffa_cakes

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 16:55 »
Catch the cats and take them to the other side of town - miles away.

He'd probably only get more...

Press might be you're last option then - take lots of photos.

xx
wheelie bin grass box . . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 23:07
by daveinmanc
xx
Raised bed straight onto grass

Started by The Singing Gardener on Design and Construction

19 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 00:01
by oakfairy
xx
Do I need to cut grass/weeds before covering with fabric?

Started by lcarduk on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post October 07, 2015, 15:30
by cadalot
xx
Advice please for starting up. Have land and need advice before we start.

Started by mairistephen on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 23:20
by mairistephen

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 34 queries.