Poorly hen

• 4 Replies

indigo

Poorly hen
« on: October 10, 2011, 13:23 »
I have a hen who lives on her own and has done for a year.  She free ranges all day when i am at home.  For the last few  days, she has been laying softshelled eggs (she has done in the past - but always came right).  A couple of the eggs seemed shell less.  She was eating and drinking fine yesterday - although i did notice she went in her laying box a couple of times - but no egg of any sort. Today she didnt come out when i opened her coop.  I left her for a while, and when i went back, she was straining as if to lay any egg - but nothing doing.  I have given her a hot bath, and using oil felt inside to see if there was an egg.  I cant feel anything. While i was feeling inside, she pushed and a load of clear liquid shot out.  She is now in a box in the house, standing up with head down and eyes closed.  She does open them when i go to her, but doesnt move.  she has had baytril (some i had left from about 6months ago - is this still alright?) and a few sips of water.  She is about 3 years old, a real pet - love  her to bits! What is the best thing to do now?

indigo

Re: Poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 15:19 »
Hi
Isnt there anybody out there who has any idea what i can do now?

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 16:14 »
Hi Indigo

I was hoping that somebody who knows a bit more than me will reply to you. Couple of questions: what colour & consistency was the clear liquid that came out when you were examining her and does she appear to have a temperature (may be difficult to gauge without another hen to compare with)?

I am not sure how long the Baytril shelf life would be once it has been opened.

Personally I think I would take her to the vets if you can as she does sound quite ill.

Sorry I can't help any more - will keep fingers crossed for her.
Helen

indigo

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 16:51 »
Hi
Thanks helens hens -
She has gone downhill very quickly in the last couple of hours. The liquid was clear and like water.  She doesnt seem to have a temperature - although round her vent and below is quite red and feels warm.  Her comb is cold to the touch, which i believe is a bad sign.  She is lying down now although everynow and then she turns round.  But mostly she is just lying with her eyes closed.  I have syringed some water into her - but i really dont think she is going to make it.  I would take her to the vet if i thought there was a chance - but i honestly dont think there is.
But thanks again for your reply - it means a lot.

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 16:55 »
Hi Indigo

I'm really sorry to hear she has taken a turn for the worse. While there is life there is always hope, don't give up on her just yet.

Keeping everything crossed, let us know what happens.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly hen...

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 17:15
by Jellyhead
xx
Poorly hen

Started by chloe on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 22:15
by joyfull
question
Poorly hen?

Started by hoptonboy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2012, 22:23
by hoptonboy

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 36 queries.