Duck House advice/Help

• 3 Replies

darrena

• Experienced Member
Duck House advice/Help
« on: May 11, 2009, 20:19 »
I am about to build a Duck house to hold two female Welsh Harlequins which will be kept as family pets and an egg supply.
I was wondering if the ducks will require both a water and food supply inside their house and if it is necessary any advice on the best way to this use the least amount of space.

Also is it necessary to have seperate bed area's like for example a a rabbit hutch or should it just be an open area?

Any advice greatly appreciated as space is at a premium.

Many Thanks
Darren
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 21:07 by darrena »

Vember

Re: Duck House advice/Help
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 21:15 »
Hi Darren

They can be left without food and water over night if they are adult birds :) But must be let out fairly early if you do this :)

An open plan house is fine they will pick a corner that they will lay their eggs in :)

Have you seen Kate and her Ducks pics of her house? she has done a fab job I'll see if I can find them for you :)
Here we go :

This is mine.

Sarah :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 21:17 by Vember »

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 22:02 »
That's my second duck house. I bought a posh duck ark and they never liked it. Not a good use of space, a pain to clean and cost a fortune. This is a converted garden storage chest that cost me £85 plus the cost of a hinge and a cabin hook. The ramp cost me a couple of quid and if it's on the ground you wounln't need it. The only difference now to the picture is I got round to putting the roof felt on and I doubled up the ramp to fill the gap by the fence as they kept falling down it!

Inside there is nothing fancy at all, just a thick layer of bedding o keep them toasty warm at night.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 16:38 »
I bought a couple of small preformed plastic dog kennels (small size) I out straw in for bedding...There isn't a door with this ssort of thing so unless area is fox proof there could be a disaster... as I have mentioned before ours were older ducks when we got them and never having been closed in at night before they almost went crazy when I tried!

They do sleep in the kennels sometimes and sometimes lay eggs in there...Have to say have started laying wherever the hens have shuffled up the soil during the day!

xx
Duck House

Started by Debz on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 18:24
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Fly's in my duck house

Started by darrena on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 19:31
by happychickens
xx
Duck House

Started by Tensing on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 07, 2006, 10:02
by Tensing
xx
Duck House design

Started by makedoandmend on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 22:10
by orchardlady

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 38 queries.