Broody Hen question

• 7 Replies

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Broody Hen question
« on: April 06, 2008, 17:30 »
Hi everyone,  I have a broody Amberlink hen that is sitting under an extrememly large metal container (like the ones that Maersk put on the back of ships) in the builders yard next to my field.  She has been there for two days and has a clutch of eggs under her (I know she has eggs under there as last weekend I moved 6 from under the same container in the same spot). I have put food and water under the container for her but would like to know, is it best to try and move her up to a box in my garage so I can keep an eye on her or leave her where she is and continue to put food and water out for her and check her twice daily. I know the guys in the builders yard won't object to her being there, they would probably be interested to see if she does hatch her eggs, but am worried that she will:

A. Starve herself by not moving off her eggs to eat and drink

B. If we move her will it put her off hatching her eggs.

She is quite safe from foxes as we dont seem to have any around here and where she is is very dark. She certainly took some finding when she wasnt in the shed for the last 3 nights!  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Any advice would be very very helpful

Claire

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Broody Hen question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 17:36 »
its always best to try and get her somewhere safe and warm

if you do decide to move her, do it in the dark, and cover the torch light with red if you can. it will keep her calm.

if she's dead set on hatching, moving her won't put her off...they can be really stubbourn.

you will need to make sure she get up every day for 10 - 20 mins. for a giant poo and to eat and drink.

if she's not doing it herself, make her

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Broody Hen question
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 18:49 »
Thanks Babe, will try moving her tomorrow night with the OH's help (if she is still sitting that is)

Claire

Foxy

Broody Hen question
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 21:50 »
Quote from: "babe"
its always best to try and get her somewhere safe and warm

if you do decide to move her, do it in the dark, and cover the torch light with red if you can. it will keep her calm.

if she's dead set on hatching, moving her won't put her off...they can be really stubbourn.

you will need to make sure she get up every day for 10 - 20 mins. for a giant poo and to eat and drink.

if she's not doing it herself, make her

Agree with wildone if shes sitting tight she is unlikey to abandon them - i have moved 2 broodies without any probs and is best that the chicks are out of harms way from from crows or even rats.

agapanthus

Broody Hen question
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 21:55 »
Yeah...move her....she'll be okay!!!

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Broody Hen question
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 22:47 »
we moved ours as has been suggested and she still sat tight - sounds like yours is a stubborn one too!

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Broody Hen question
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:43 »
Thanks everyone will move her asap. May have to use a fishing net and hook her out from under the container as she is sat right in the middle and I dont have 8 foot long arms!  I checked her this morning before work and she has sat tight over night, so all seems well so far.

And just to make life interesting another hen (ex-batt this time) has gone awol so will have to have a hunt for her tonight.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Claire

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Broody Hen question
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 13:58 »
Have moved Darla and she is now in the garage, I have to move her with the aid of a fishing net as I couldn't reach her without it  :lol:  :lol:  Needless to say I dont think she was very impressed with me. She had a drink and must have been starving as she had a good nosh and was then left alone for 10 mins or so to have a wander and a peck around the garage. I had to put her back on the eggs and cover the box as she was inclined to jump off them again.  

This morning she was sat fluffed up on the eggs but had managed to break one so we are now down to 4! My OH rang earlier to say he put her back on the eggs and she was happily incubating them.  Time will tell if she is truly broody or just playing.

Claire

xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
Broody or not broody that is the question.

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 14:10
by nicky d
xx
Another Broody Hen Question

Started by heifer on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 21:39
by muntjac
xx
Broody Question!

Started by lukasmum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 12:53
by stan deakin

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 38 queries.