Where to start ?

• 6 Replies

kevinp

• Experienced Member
Where to start ?
« on: July 27, 2010, 07:54 »
Hello everyone, I just need a bit of advice on where to start on my new allotment, its 15ft x50ft and will need digging over. It is a secure site with what looks like a rabbit proof fence lockable gate and water to each plot, and its pretty much out of the way, two miles from my house. I had a quick look at it last night and the plots look very nice some are well established by the looks of it even though its a newish site.

I would like to start work straight away ..... this weekend :) but as we are in the middle of the year am I better off just digging say a quarter and getting some veg in this weekend ? I like most veg cabbages, beans, squashs, kale carrots, salads etc could you recommend some variety's that I can put in now for harvesting though out the rest of the year please .

There is lots I need to learn but I am very keen and have been after a plot for a long time now, so I am going to make the most of it now that I have one.

Kev

Christine

Re: Where to start ?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 08:31 »
Don't kill yourself getting started you want to live to see the next day.  :D

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:13 »
yes do a little bit and reasonably often on this, the most tedious bit ie) getting it all ready for full planting. But the progress you will make as you look at how it is going is a great incentive.

I think that having one this time of year is good as you can get it all fully prepared over the next month or two without "pressure" of time, ready for next year when it will be "ready to go" as a full site so it will be less of a daunting thing to approach in the spring. Although in some of the cleared spaces you can plant some things now: potatoes for late winter, carrots, salads and maybe a few veg plug plants from good garden centres.

Also it is fun making a plan of what you want to grow and where. That also gives a real boost.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

wicked

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:26 »
Jealous much :blush:

I'm doing everything at home in a small raised bed, although I have got my name down for an allotment (2 year waiting list and counting)

I can recommend going to the garden centres and nurseries locally, I was too late in the season for doing leeks, went to my local nursey yesterday - 20+ plants half price (£1) coz they were looking a little sorry for themselves

I also went to B&Q earlier on in the year and got strips of carrots and cauli's for 25p for the same reason

Now I'm seed shopping so I have enough in time for next year

Enjoy your new plot  ;)

My thought process is NOT illogical...It's just a form of intellect so amazing it has yet to be appreciated by mainstream society ;)

Save the earth.....It's the only planet with chocolate ;-)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:17 »
If the soil is not rock hard, and not full of perennial weeds, hire a Rotavator for the weekend and do the lot?

I would get a self propelled one (engine drives wheels, as well as tines) rather than one that just drives the tines.  Much easier to get it to "dig" soil that isn't already beautifully crumbly :)

If you can spread rotted manure on it first then the Rotavator will incorporate it as you go - or, if time and energy permit, one pass with Rotavator, spread manure, make second pass.

Seeds probably 1/2 price in your garden centre now, maybe 50p a packet later on (but less choice). Don't buy parsnip seed (it needs to be fresh), and maybe one or two others - although all my other seed packets here are a year old or more and did all right this year

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 12:57 »
i would deweed if any and then get the soil condition checked out. When i first started i noticed root vegatables wouldn't grow well due to the clay like soil so i opted to grow non-root veggies. afterwards i started working in compost, manure and sand and slowly root veggies started to grow well. get a calender of things to grow at which time of the year, plenty of reading and lots of fun and excitment  :D

I made a mistake at first of getting free wet horse manure from a stable and with the wet clay it was a complete nightmare, the fork would just lift a huge lump of soil and manure and it wouldn't break up, feet would just get stuck. the following year our next door had a petrol rotivator and it just made mince meat of the soil.  either dry manure or if not then leave to dry out a bit and then mix it in would be my advice but there are others who have far superior experience on these matters  8) .

all the best!

wink
Where to start.

Started by ohsocute on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 08:26
by ohsocute
xx
Where to start?

Started by AK9 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 18, 2014, 12:30
by AK9
xx
Start all over again

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 16:42
by Kristen
xx
When to start?

Started by willdotcom on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 10:03
by willdotcom

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 39 queries.