Ill chook :-(

• 9 Replies

Carrie99

Ill chook :-(
« on: September 09, 2012, 22:37 »
Hi All,

I am having a right old time at the moment with my girls. I'll try to give as much info as possible to create the full picture of Ethel's circumstances.

I recently developed a red mite issue, despite what I thought to be adequate prevention (lesson learned there!). Anyway, so, I discovered that about two weeks back and since have had a massive cleaning mission and have even decided upon a new coop (eglu awaits collection!). So, that's improved upon massively. In the mean-time however...

My hens are all ex bats. Ethel was taken to the vet about 6 weeks ago as she developed a yellow tinge. The vet said this was liver related, which I guess is obvious, she also had some problems breathing so has been given two separate courses of anti-biotics which appeared to have solved that issue. The vet advised that the liver issue couldn't really be solved but to just keep her as happy and healthy as possible which I've been trying to do.

So, when the breathing got better and she displayed a new batch of fluffy feathers I felt quite pleased (about two weeks after the breathing problem began). Over the last week though she has became more and more subdued. Her comb is increasingly floppy, she is eating less and less and just generally lacks energy. Today she wouldn't even take mealworms from my hand which is another downward step :-(. I thought she may have been walking slightly strangely too so started to look down the line of egg-bound-ness but have checked her vent and can't see anything off....I also gave her a warm bath which seemed to wake her up a bit and she had some food afterwards but that only seemed to show a slight improvement for a very short while.

I'm trying to supplement her diet with various vitamins to give her a boost but like I say, as of today she won't even eat much.

I wormed all chickens about 5 weeks ago too.

Over the last 48 hours she has been doing the most green poos I have ever seen too. They died down a bit yesterday evening (after the bath and more food) but were shocking lime green. I have read that this could be due to a few different things too, some of which are fatal and can't be treated, but just wondered if in general these symptoms could add up to anything obvious that I am missing??

Any help or advice will be appreciated :-)

Carrie

Sassy

Re: Ill chook :-(
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 08:24 »
How old is she? Unfortunately ex bats, which are hybrid hens, do not have such a long life as pure breeds as they have been egg laying machines. Whatever happens do remember that you have given her a very good life since she stopped being an ex bat and that you have done and are doing all that you can for her. She could not ask for more :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Carrie99

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:28 »
Hi there, well, she is around 2 year old I guess. I'm told that she would have been taken from the farm at around one year old and she's been with me a year now. I didn't expect her to still be with us this morning but she was, although still not eating/drinking. I managed to get her to take some water although I'm not sure if I'm really helping now :-s. I'm just concerned that this might be something I have overlooked and it can be solved...although I have a feeling that she is just generally a poorly girl and there's not a lot that can be done?

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 10:16 »
Hello Carrie,
Sorry your hen is ill.
 If she's not eating the poo will be green from bile.
Can you tempt her with wet cat food? You could also try poultry tonic but you might have to syringe it into her.
However if you think she is suffering and you have tried active treatment then perhaps the kindest option is to put her to sleep. Whatever happens you have given her a wonderful life and it's very sad when our much loved pets become so ill.

Carrie99

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 11:49 »
Hi there, thanks for the advice.

When you say wet cat food (sorry if this is a silly question, I've never owned cats) do you mean the moist kind you would buy for a cat?

I have left her with the others today but in all honesty I don't have high hopes for her being alright when I return home today. I can't be certain either but she was definitely still eating to some degree with the brightly coloured poo started, don't know if that makes a difference or not...

kegs

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 13:06 »
Sorry to hear about your hen.

When you wormed them did you use Flubenvet?  Also have you tried tempting her with any other foods (pellets made into a warm porridge, chopped boiled egg, mealworms)?

jhub

• jane
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 13:36 »
Yes, the moist cat food..

Carrie99

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 13:44 »
Hi there, yes, I used flubenvet.

I tried a variety of treats last night and this morning, meal worm included, she seems vaguelly interested but then it fades between noticing the food and going to eat it. Haven't tried the warm pellets or chopped egg, will have that a go this evening though! That and the cat food!

Carrie99

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 12:45 »
Well, Ethel is still with us although doesn't seem much better. I managed to get her to eat some pellets although all other treats were declined. I've also been managing to give her water a few times a day. I can't be around all day but I'm assuming that she's not drinking much at all.

I'm starting to lean towards the idea that she is eggbound though, I have tried a warm bath last night which didn't seem to bother her much but hasn't really changed anything either. She has some of the symptoms in the lack of appetite, lowered tail, heavy breathing, seems to be straining...but then with her previous breathing issues it's hard to tell if that's anything new. I don't want to prod and poke at her too much on a whim... Her abdomen is definitely a lot larger than the other girls' though ( I compared to one of my girls who had laid a few hours ago) although I felt around her and couldn't feel anything solid or hard...again though I know that might mean a few different things too?

Ahhh....deary me. Is it worth a trip to the vet?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 13:39 »
It could be an enlarged liver that you are feeling.  Best to ring your vet and have a chat about the symptoms.

www.backyardchickens.com/t/401429/autopsy-shows-enlarged-liver-need-help-identifying-problem-graphic
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
Chook not herself??

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 00:05
by Hensington
xx
Chook with bad leg??????

Started by rgp5454 on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post February 02, 2007, 19:38
by muntjac
xx
Ill Chook

Started by little brown hen on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 15, 2011, 16:00
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 28 queries.