Other than Christmas cake and pudding

• 21 Replies

sarajane

Re: Other than Christmas cake and pudding
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 20:38 »
Aunt Sally - do you make the usual ratio of jelly and pour it over the cake, add fruit, wait for it to set, then top with cream?  Just wanted to check.  Thanks.

I use normal ratio of jelly less any alcohol I put in.  also make sure you don't use any pineapple fruit in as this stops the jelly from setting.

(oh, and I will be trying the evaporated milk in the custard.  never done before but sounds yummy)  :)

Spana

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 10:16 »
I dilute evaporated milk 2parts e/milk to 3 parts water, so 8fl ozs e/milk plus 12fl ozs water makes 1pt and I make the custard with that, gives a really nice taste to the custard. Custard made with normal milk tastes very bland to me, always being use to the evaporated milk version. ::)

When I was little we always had a pint of sterilized milk delivered on a Sunday to make the custard with. You could have door step deliveries on a Sunday then. :closedeyes:
 It came in a tall narrow glass bottle with a metal cap,like on beer.  It made the best flavoured custard  in the world ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 14:11 »
You can still buy sterilised milk  :)

It was the only milk we used to have delivered, and even when mum finally got a fridge we still carried on using it. I don't mind in anything except tea, which is YUKKY with sterilised milk!

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 08:30 »
Although i have never attempted this, http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/articles/a-Christmas-feast-at-river-cottage-hughs-roly-poly-Christmas-pudding.aspx is what i WANT to be a staple in our house at Christmas

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 21:21 »

It was the only milk we used to have delivered, and even when mum finally got a fridge we still carried on using it. I don't mind in anything except tea, which is YUKKY with sterilised milk!

Funny how tastes vary -- I loathe sterilsed milk  ??? ??? ???
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Trillium

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 00:48 »
We make several homemade apple pies for Christmas time, and if I have the time, I'll also make homemade buttertarts and chocolate chip cookies. The family is not really into goey, sugary, high fat desserts, which is just as well for my waistline.  :blink:

NormandyMary

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 20:17 »

Funny how tastes vary -- I loathe sterilsed milk  ??? ??? ???
Although sterilised milk is the "norm" over here, more and more supermarkets are selling fresh milk. It can be a bit on the pricey side, I buy as much as I can, between 5 and 10 litres at a time and freeze it. Its a must for cereal, tea and coffee. However, for cooking, sauces, custard etc, I always use sterlised milk, I think it gives a creamier taste and its much cheaper.
I will also be making a trifle at Christmas. Its as traditional as Christmas pudding and mince pies.

xx
Christmas pudding

Started by juliec on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 09, 2010, 17:14
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Christmas pudding

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 08, 2010, 18:03
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Traditional Christmas pudding

Started by jacnal on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2007, 12:31
by chrissie B
xx
2nd try at Christmas Cake . . . . .

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2010, 20:28
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 39 queries.