bulbs that fail to flower

• 8 Replies

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
bulbs that fail to flower
« on: March 13, 2011, 20:50 »
Does anyone know how to make bulbs, such as daffodils, flower - i have several that have not and are doomed for the compost heap unless I can get some advice that will save them.  They are in a sunny positon and in a bed that gets regular feed or compost top up?  Any ideas???? :)
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: bulbs that fail to flower
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 20:59 »
Are they in a tight clump?  Could need dividing up.  Alternatively, they may need replanting deeper.  They should be 3 times the depth of the bulb.  Wait until the leaves die down and have an exploratory dig :)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 21:02 »
I have some like that and found for most that I simply planted them too deep. I know the directions say something like 6" or so but mine never flower that deep. I put them in at 2" or so and they do well. Deer and rabbits never touch daffs, but tulips are a real treat for them so they might be nipping off early buds.

Also, some bulbs just seem to get too old to flower anymore. I've seen people tear them out and bin them, only to find at the dump/tip that tulips are blooming in the strangest places, so I wonder if they just need digging up and planting elsewhere.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 21:04 »
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=658 for the RHS advice on daffodil blindness

I was going to suggest they might be too deep, or might have rotted off.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 21:15 »
, only to find at the dump/tip that tulips are blooming in the strangest places, so I wonder if they just need digging up and planting elsewhere.

Yeah its bizarre the places you find random bulbs!!!

I guess people must tip them out with other stuff and the bulbs remain

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 22:59 »
Thanks for the comments - they may be to old as they have been there for about 7 years and they maybe to deep as I keep adding compost on top of them.  The solution seems to be digging them up - and if I put them in compost bin then I may get a pretty compost bin.  :D My decision is to dig them up when they are fading and put them in some pots of compost, put them in the back of the garden to rest and see if they improve next year. Many thanks for advice.

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 23:07 »
Bulbs are funny...last year I had hardly any flowers but this year they're gorgeous. Also loads have appeared where I thought I'd lost them!
I put it down to the chicken poo.....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 08:24 »
I've got various types of daffs in my north-facing front garden; the ones nearest the house and in the darkest corner have the greatest tendency to be "blind", so sufficient light is clearly one of the factors to consider.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 10:52 »
Okay, this is "sort of" on the same subject.  I have a Peony that has never bloomed and I think it is because I planted it too deep too.  We just moved house and I brought it with me.  Massive root ball.  I replanted it in a sunny southern exposure with the crown out of the soil.  Fingers cross this year! ;)
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
Summer flower bulbs

Started by Pony Girl on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 19:20
by sunshineband
xx
mouldy flower bulbs

Started by gardener247 on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post February 05, 2010, 20:10
by DavidT
clip
Nodules on Flower Bulbs

Started by bobbyt on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post November 17, 2021, 20:10
by snowdrops
xx
Bulbs (help me please)

Started by yummy on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 20:42
by wellybabe

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 41 queries.