Chicken Trivia Quiz

• 11 Replies

hillfooter

Chicken Trivia Quiz
« on: July 24, 2011, 16:34 »
I did this quiz for the local pub quiz night recently and thought you might be interested.  Answers in a day or two.

Chicken Trivia Quiz

1.   All the following are breeds of British chickens except one, which one?
a.   Abacot Ranger
b.   Croad Langshan
c.   Ixworth
d.   Scots Dumpy

2.   Only one of these chicken breeds is a European breed, but which?
a.   Jersey Giant
b.   Plymouth Rock
c.   Brahma
d.   Yokohama

3.   A commercial modern hybrid layer in her first year of lay will generally lay how many eggs?
a.   230 eggs
b.   270 eggs
c.   310 eggs
d.   350 eggs

4.   We’ve all heard the expression “like a headless chicken“ but what is the longest a headless chicken has been documented to live for?
a.   18 hours
b.   18 days
c.   18 weeks
d.   18 months

5.   If someone told you, “You were raised by a hen”, what would they be implying?
a.   You had a very frugal upbringing
b.   You had a very good upbringing   
c.   You were brought up without the guidance of a father figure
d.   You were brought up to be a good scavenger

6.   What’s the best orientation in which to store an egg?
a.   Round end uppermost
b.   Pointed end uppermost
c.   On its side
d.   Any orientation they are all equally as good

7.   When an egg is laid which end comes out first?
a.   The broad round end normally
b.   The narrow pointed end normally
c.   Either end is equally likely, it’s purely random
d.   It depends on the hen some always lay pointed and others round end

8.   If you tried to hatch a double yolk egg from a hen which had been mated, what would be the likely result?
a.   Twin chicks would hatch
b.   One chick would hatch
c.   No chicks would hatch
d.   Either a single chick or twin chicks could hatch

9.   According to the quiz game “Trivial Pursuit” in which American State are most chickens raised?
   a.   California
   b.   Texas
   c.   New York
   d.   Kentucky

10.   Often when you approach a hen it will squat down and hold its wings out stiffly, why?
   a.   It’s scared stiff of you
   b.   It’s deferring to you as higher in the pecking order
   c.   It wants to be stroked
   d.   It wants to have your babies

11.   If a chicken lives to be exactly 6 years old how many birthdays will it have had?
   a.   6
   b.   None
   c.   7
   d.   5

12   “Like hens teeth” usually means an event which is so rare as to be non-existent but in fact how many teeth do hens have?
   a)   none
   b)   one
   c)   two
   d)   24

HF
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 16:35 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

bantam novice

Re: Chicken Trivia Quiz
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 17:41 »
Do we get a prize  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 18:20 »
Do we get a prize  :D

half a dozen eggs if you come to the pub quiz night!  It's where I sell my excess produce around 7 dozen a week.

HF

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 23:14 »
Did anyone get ANY of the answers?
I don't know the answer to lots of these and I keep 'em! :unsure:
Will watch this space!

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 13:14 »
Did anyone get ANY of the answers?
I don't know the answer to lots of these and I keep 'em! :unsure:
Will watch this space!

Eggscellent because that's eggsactly the result I wanted to achieve.  As it's a Trivia quiz I wanted the non-chicken buffs to have as much chance of guessing the answers as the eggsperts :D .  That's why the questions are a little obscure. 

It was intended to be a quite light hearted prelude to selling my eggs.  Currently there's far more demand than I can cope with.

HF

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 04:54 »
Chicken Trivia Quiz 1 - Answers

1.   a)   An Abacot Ranger is a duck and the rest are British breeds of chickens. Croad Lanshans were imported  into Britain from China by Major F.T. Croad.  His niece is credited with developing today’s show breed.  Ixworths were developed as a utility breed in Suffolk and a Scots Dumpy is a short legged Scottish breed.

2   d)   Despite the name, Yokohamas were developed in Europe from a Japanese breed of chicken. Yokohama is not where the breed originated, but it is the port from which a French Missionary named Girad first exported the originating breed to Europe where further breeding would create the Yokohama known today.   Today the Yokohama has been further developed in Japan which produces several colours of these beautiful show birds.
Plymouth Rocks and Jersey Giants, from New Jersey, are American breeds and a Brahma is from India.

3   c)    310.  Although this number can vary for speciality layers like blue egg layers a modern day Hybrid Layer can be expected to lay around this number of eggs in its first 12 months of laying.  The most productive pure breed chicken, Rhode Island Reds, Leghorns and Light Sussex, rarely exceed 250 eggs a year.

4   d)   On September the 10th 1945 Colorado farmer Lloyd Olsen beheaded his cockerel Mike for a chicken dinner but amazingly the bird survived.  Mike lived for 18months becoming a celebrity exhibit in a travelling show and featuring in many magazines of the time including Time and Life Magazine. 
Mike was on display to the public for an admission cost of 25 cents. At the height of his popularity, the chicken earned US$4,500 per month ($48,000 in todays dollars) and was valued at $10,000.  Olsen's success resulted in a wave of copycat chicken beheading, but no other chicken lived for more than a day or two.
Mike the Headless Chicken is celebrated in Fruita, Colorado, on the third weekend in May with an annual "Mike the Headless Chicken Day".  They don’t get out much in Fruita.  Apparently Mike has his own twitter blog

5   b)   Hens are renowned good mothers

6   a)   The yolk is held more centrally and furthest from the air pocket if the egg is stored round end uppermost.

7   a)   Eggs are normally laid round end first though they travel down the oviduct pointed end first.  Very occasionally, according to some observers, they can be laid pointed end first.  The egg which starts off as a yolk to which is attached the germ from which the chick will develop, is revolved in corkscrew motion down the oviduct.  The albumen (white) is deposited first and the shell is the last component to be deposited in the uterus.  The colour of eggshells is due to a coloured coating deposited on the otherwise white shell.  Contrary to popular myth shell colour has no significance to egg taste.  In the USA white eggs are more prized than brown which are more popular in the UK.

8   c)   Double yolker eggs under natural conditions don’t hatch.  Contrary to what is popularly thought double yolkers aren’t very rare and commonly occur with young hens before their bodies have adjusted to regular laying. 
Double yolked eggs are rare in supermarket eggs as they are selected out at the packing stage.  Stories of people finding a supermarket carton of eggs to contain 6 double yolkers, the odds of which are 1000’s of times smaller than your chance of winning the lottery, are usually explained by these selected out double yolkers finding their way into the eggs packed for sale.

9   a)   California.  This is also the most populous state.  It was estimated that in 2000 total US production reached over 8 billion chickens, the overwhelming majority of which were broilers, and exceeded beef in terms of meat weight consumed per capita.

10   d)   This is the submissive posture a hen adopts when it wants to be mated.  A hen will naturally accept you as the head of the flock and ascribe to you the role of the cock.  A cock will often induce a hen to adopt this posture by doing a very brief wing down sideways display and placing a foot on her tail.   It is often referred to as treading the hens.

11   b)   None. Eggs are laid and chicks are hatched not born. Therefore a chicken doesn’t have a birthday though it may have a layday or a hatchday.

12   b)   One. When a chick hatches it has a small horny spike on the top of it’s beak which is called an “egg tooth” and is used by the chick to break out of its shell.  It is shed shortly after hatching.

kegs

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 12:08 »
Awww - I only got 3 out of 12.   :tongue2:  It's the bottom of the class for me!  :blush:

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 12:22 »
Awww - I only got 3 out of 12.   :tongue2:  It's the bottom of the class for me!  :blush:

Well which ones did you get right then Kegs :ohmy:

....and which ones of you thought question 9 was Kentucky.  Own up now, you know it's finger licking good!

HF
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:26 by hillfooter »

kegs

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 13:20 »
Awww - I only got 3 out of 12.   :tongue2:  It's the bottom of the class for me!  :blush:

Well which ones did you get right then Kegs :ohmy:

....and which ones of you thought question 9 was Kentucky.  Own up now, you know it's finger licking good!

HF

I got Q 6, 8 and 12 right............

and yes I thought Kentucky so there  :tongue2:  :D  (I'm not blond for nothing you know!  ::))

bantam novice

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 14:04 »
I got 5 right  :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 07:25 »
In response to Q. 11 I would like to point out that my chickens will celebrate their first "Hatchy Birthday" in November.

I got a few of them right but not Yokohama!  And I also picked Kentucky for the most chickens in the USA.  I should have known it was a trick question.  ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 07:29 »
In response to Q. 11 I would like to point out that my chickens will celebrate their first "Hatchy Birthday" in November.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Heres a quiz for you all

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 07:05
by Lindeggs
xx
guess the hybrid quiz !

Started by threeranger on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 10:49
by joyfull
xx
Chicken and cat

Started by Beano on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 19:44
by jinty1911
xx
Chicken was almost put down

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 00:09
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 39 queries.