noisy cockerel

• 28 Replies

Flump

• Experienced Member
noisy cockerel
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:21 »
would it be unreasonable to ask my neighbour to keep her cockerel in for an extra hour in the mornings so it doesn't wake us and our three children every morning at 7am?we live in a row of houses.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: noisy cockerel
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:34 »
No not at all,

Most people in built up areas are advised not to have them any way.

Though usually it would be a 7am opening instead of a 5am opening.

Just ask them and see what they say. 

If they refuse its possible to do it by force (via council) but that always leads to tensions so you have to judge which you prefer heh.

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 10:12 »
yes,well it used to crow at 4am whether it was in or not so it is an improvement.It's only affects us as neighbours are insomniacs and other is farmworker who goes out at crack of dawn.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 10:20 »
Conversely I think 7am is quite reasonable, considering it could be 4 or 5am in mid summer.

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:47 »
hhhmm,I wouldn't dream of going round and waking up my neighbours at 4,5 or 7am,so I don't think a bit of consideration is too much to ask.After years of being woken all through the night by babies/toddlers and finally getting them to sleep past 7 only to be woken by crowing ,it is a bit annoying.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 12:21 »
is it a rural part of Leicestershire that you live in or a town? This does make a difference - if a rural village then 7am for a countryside cockerel crowing is perfectly acceptable - my boys start at 4am.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 14:23 »
It is rural but we live in a row of semi's,hence the cockerel can get within a few feet of the house and the sound of birds,cows or sheep are nothing compared to him.But I don't understand why it is acceptable for cockerels to wake people up at 4am because it is in the country?is it because they wake up less people and so it doesn't matter?to be honest,some nights I am awake with pain until the early hours and only dropping off at 3am.I love hens and don't mind cockerels really,and they will all crow at 4 if they aren't kept in the dark at night won't they?it isn't like they are in a small coop either so have to be let out so early,they live in a small palace 10ft by 10ft.Although it seems usual for some of you to be awake at 4 then, or 7,does that mean people who want to sleep longer shouldn't get a choice?

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 14:50 »
the sound of a cockerel crowing is part of rural life - we are surrounded by farms so have always had their noise since we moved out here - so much so that at one time I was the only one without a cockerel. I suppose to some people their noise could be an annoyance but I rather like the sound of them and think their crowing at 7am is not unreasonable. Mine was the one who used to start at 4 as he slept in the trees - sadly I no longer have him and now my hens and cockerels get let out between 5.30 and 6am everyday.

Casey76

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 15:11 »
Noise abatement is usually only in place between 10pm and 6am, I think, in the UK.  After that reasonable noise can occur.

TBH I would have thought that anyone who works, or has kids to take to school would be up and about by 7am anyway, which is why I think this is a reasonable time to keep cockerels in to.

When I lived in Switzerland construction (pneumatic drills, the lot) start at 7am, and I lived next door to a building renovation for 18 months.

I had a couple of complaints about my cockeres from next door when they started crowing at 5 and 6 am (but I had 14!), so I blacked out the windows so they couldn't see it was light.  But they were let out at between 6:30 and 7am, because I leave for work at 7am.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 15:14 »
From Environmental Protection  UK site
Night Time Noise Offence

The Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 amended the Noise Act 1996 and enables local authorities in England and Wales to tackle night time noise emitted from dwellings and gardens between the hours of 11.00 pm and 7.00 am. To enforce these powers local authorities must ensure that an environmental health officer takes reasonable steps to investigate complaints about noise emitted from dwellings. If the officer is satisfied that noise exceeds the permitted level, a warning notice may be served on the person responsible. If the warning is ignored, the offender becomes liable for prosecution (which if successful carries a fine of up to £1000.
Please note the times.
The answer is that you can ask, but don't expect much joy (sorry joyfull  :lol: )

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 15:15 »
 ::) :lol: :lol:

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 15:44 »
I think the equivalent would be-people who don't mind crowing (and I don't mind the occasional few,but this beggar carries on for hours once he's started)feel the same if it were a neighbours dog for instance that started barking at 4am and carried on for hours?

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 16:02 »
as has been pointed out though 7am is not unreasonable and is acceptable as far as the anti social behavoir act is concerned.

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 16:08 »
Personally I think it's pretty unreasonable to keep cockerels in an urban environment irrespective of whether it's in a country area.  Having close neighbours as in a terrace situation I think you would have strong case for complaint.  I'd have a word with your neighbour and see if there's any way they could move them further away or dispense with the cockerel which isn't essential unless they want to breed chx.
I expect there's still a legal option of a complaint of nuisance irrespective of the actual Noise Abatement Act night time defined period.  However I'd try the friendly approach first to see if an acceptable compromise is possible.

HF
Truth through science.

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 16:13 »
but what about the people who want to breed and show their birds - surely this shouldn't only be for those with no close neighbours living in the middle of nowhere  :unsure:

xx
Noisy cockerel

Started by Indiana on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 17, 2012, 14:35
by trinamc
xx
Very noisy Hen!!

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 20:29
by mountainvicar
xx
very noisy hen

Started by DavenJu on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 09:55
by Beakybird
xx
noisy hen

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 11, 2007, 10:01
by Shazzer

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 40 queries.