very noisy hen

• 7 Replies

DavenJu

very noisy hen
« on: May 20, 2011, 14:41 »
Hi all, we have had our three girls for about nine months now but have recently encountered a problem with our Vorwerk.  :(
Most mornings she comes out of the house (courtesy of an automatic door opener) and starts making loud 'bok bok bok' noises followed by a VERY loud squawk.  It can go on for over an hour.  Our other two girls take no notice and just peck around quietly and happily.
Once they are out of their run and free ranging in the garden all is well, but we can't let them out first thing on a week day as my wife and I both work.  We are worried that the neighbours wont put up with it much longer, especially as the mornings are getting lighter earlier.  We will be adding a timer to the automatic door, but this chicken makes an awful racket whatever time so that will just delay it.
Also, evenings before they go to bed are similarly noisy.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as she is driving us mad  :wacko:
Thanks, Dave
Harriet - Welsummer
Freja - Vorwerk
Dottie - Speckled Sussex

evie2

Re: very noisy hen
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 15:20 »
She's probably top hen and just letting everyone know and I don't think you can stop her :( but I hope I'm wrong.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

izzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 15:26 »
I have one that does the same but thankfully a handful of mealworms shuts her up. 

jinty1911

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 17:35 »
Sorry to hear about your noisy girl.  I had the same problem but it was with 2 at the same time.  I think it was a mixture of Spring, adding 3 new girls and being spoilt.  They gradually got louder for longer until the neighbours started complaining (6.40 on a Sunday morning was not funny).  Unfortunately I had to get rid of them.  The 3 remaining girls do not get any treats until bedtime, are not let out until 8am (8.30 on Sundays) and there is not a peep out of them so far.   :D

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 06:20 »
I have one who likes a good squawk, she was doing it every time she could see us in the house or if we opened up a window, however my mum came and looked after them whilst we were on hols (she doesn't spoil them like we do), when we got back she had settled down, she still has her moments though, so with her it was because we would keep going out to see her every time she made a noise. I hope your hen settles down abit, can you bribe neighbours with free eggs?

new heather

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 08:22 »
We are having the same problem,  :unsure:

I have 3 girls and 1 of them, gets up first and bok boks and squawks. It is almost like there is a fox around or something. The others dont pay any notice.

We are worried about neighbours,ie, 7.15 on a saturday wont go down well.  Egg will be needed to soften this with them. I gave her a banana to make her quiet which seemed to work, but prob not best idea.

We do treat them lots and they also make a racquet if they see us in the house, open a window, etc. After reading this I think treats may need to stop so frequently.

Hope your girl quiets down.

DavenJu

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 09:51 »
Thanks everyone.  Surprisingly the noisy girl is not top chicken, don't know why the top girl puts up with her squawking.  We do treat them too much so will try some tough love and hope she quietens down.  It was so noisy yesterday that we were at the end of our tether, but a quieter start today has helped! 

We wondered if the noisy one was loney yesterday as Dottie is broody so not out of the coop much, Harriet was laying, leaving just noisy Freja by herself in the run. 

Whatever the reasons, glad to know we're not alone!!  We love dem birds anyway.....
Ju
x

Beakybird

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 09:55 »
Once you get the timer sorted you'll be able to set it to only let them out at an acceptable time. My girls are only let out around 8 - 8.30am. If your noisy girl then only kicks off around maybe 8.30am but then quietens down after an hour or so, then hopefully that will be acceptable.

If you have any neighbours who have dogs barking frequently (and many of us do!) then I can't see your hen being worse than that, especially as she shuts up after a while!

Maybe you could put interesting treats out in their run before you go to work so that they'll get them when the timer opens the coop later? Someting like scattered corn and a chuck of cabbage to keep them busy?  I don't think I'd give treats when she's in the process of being noisy as that's rewarding behaviour that you're trying to stop.

Good luck.

xx
Very noisy Hen!!

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 20:29
by mountainvicar
xx
So noisy

Started by slowef on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 07:03
by Aunt Sally
xx
How noisy?

Started by Glen on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 14:21
by Kazoo
xx
noisy hen

Started by LadyPlod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 11:46
by LadyPlod

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 35 queries.