noisy hen

• 8 Replies

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
noisy hen
« on: December 10, 2007, 21:50 »
I have a hen who is very noisy, she had been laying up until the short days, and is about 30 weeks old.  I have 4 other hens but they don't say much, but she is always rosey like shes asking me for something. Is she pining for something?

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
noisy hen
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 21:55 »
One of mine is like that Shazzer; I think it's just like people - some like to talk more than others and some can't get a word in edgeways!!

Mine came up with some new noises today - she sounded like she was purring like a cat!!  Bizzarre!

Selkie

noisy hen
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 22:04 »
oh my two purr too - usually when they're dust bathing so i think it's a happy little sound

first time i heard it i did think it was one of the cats

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
noisy hen
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 22:07 »
It's a delightful sound  :D

Fat Hen

noisy hen
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 22:12 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
One of mine is like that Shazzer; I think it's just like people - some like to talk more than others and some can't get a word in edgeways!!

Mine came up with some new noises today - she sounded like she was purring like a cat!!  Bizzarre!

Is the purring a dominance thing :?:   My Eddie (silkie cockerel ) used to do that, and since he's gone (rehomed sorry to say) Daisy has started to purr occasionally, and she is proving to be the dominant hen (even though she is smallest & youngest).

At other times she squawks like a good un.  My three ex-bats bock bock when I go out and make cooing noises this is joined by Daisy squawking and Polly (Sultan) whistling (a high pitched cooing, she's never bock bocked).

At times a bit of a racket and I wonder what the neighbours think, but I rather like it, it's kinda sweet & like they're chattering to me :lol:  :lol:

Selkie

noisy hen
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 22:29 »
my two do purr in the dustbath, like i said, but it could be a dominance thing with them - they both squash into the one 'hollow' so it could be them saying ''you move!'' ''no, you move!''

but i like the sound anyway

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
noisy hen
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 08:38 »
Mine have a right moan on when I first let them out in the morning (usually at 8am just before I go to work).  

It's as if they're complaining about being in the coop all night and how Penny took up most of the perch and that Betty said this and Pepper said that!  They only shut up when I've bribed them with corn!

Bodger

noisy hen
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 08:52 »
If its making a lot of noise, she has most definately found her femenine side. :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

My spelling of the 'F' word doesn't quite look right and my masculine side prevents me from knowing how to use spell check. :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
noisy hen
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 10:01 »
purring? she clucks!  isn't that what chickens do?

xx
How noisy?

Started by Glen on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 14:21
by Kazoo
xx
very noisy hen

Started by DavenJu on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 09:55
by Beakybird
xx
noisy hen

Started by LadyPlod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 11:46
by LadyPlod
xx
Very noisy Hen!!

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 20:29
by mountainvicar

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 35 queries.