Celery

• 3 Replies

rictic

• Experienced Member
Celery
« on: January 27, 2009, 23:36 »
Hello.
 Can anyone reccomend a good self blanching celery to grow, seeds or plants.
Keep the faith.
Malc.

sclarke624

Re: Celery
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 01:26 »
Hiya rictic

Last year I grew Galaxy (Lathom Self Blanching).  I got the seeds from Thompdon and Morgan http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/603/1/ you can also get them from http://www.alanromans.com/p-1808-celery-galaxy-lathom-self-blanching.aspx I haven't ordered anything from alan romans myself though so can't vouch for him, they are the very same T&M seeds I'm sure same pic if you read his blurb on http://www.alanromans.com/t-faq.aspx it gives a clue they may be from T&M.

I grew them in my high rise bed.  Everyone that eats celery liked them and made comments such as: "this ishow celery should taste", and "I don't mind it a bit green still tastes really good" (apparently americans eat it like that).  I couldn't tell you if nice or not cos I absolutely hate the stuff, yuk.

They are a bog plant and drink a lot and are apparently hungry plants.  I overwater my plants anyway so I'm ok with that.  Haven't yet grown any other variety.  Each one germinated just fine, I started them off indoors and transplanted.  I used the cut and come again method on them instead of pulling whole plant up .........loads of stems on one plant.  When cut and come again method used small stems grow in there place, they were fine as well.  Last right until bad frosts.  Can't remember when started them off but have a pic of them 5 inches high on 20th May outside, so probably started in early march.

Think planted about twelve and that was too many for OH and give away to son as there are so many stalks on the one plant........they must really trim them up when sold in supermarkets.

HTH
IMG_1843a.JPG
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:29 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 01:28 »
How about that the pic worked bit small though, made it smaller to be in keeping with site but went too far methinks.

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 01:30 »
How about that the pic worked bit small though, made it smaller to be in keeping with site but went too far methinks.

Oh hang I see you can click it and see it bigger thats ok then.

xx
Normal cutting celery v Parcel celery

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 10:26
by Snow
xx
Celery

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 23:17
by Kajazy
xx
celery

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2015, 12:34
by Nobbie
xx
my celery

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 00:35
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 39 queries.