Lemon Tree advice please

• 7 Replies

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
Lemon Tree advice please
« on: March 01, 2012, 13:51 »
Actually it's more of a 6" high bush really at the moment....it was given to me and I've never had one before.  It has faired quite well on a south facing window cill and has quite a few flowers.  It needs potting on and I thought I read somewhere that it needed special compost.  Am I right please?  I've got special feed for it but can't remember what else I should do.
Many thanks
OG

Kleftiwallah

Re: Lemon Tree advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 14:01 »

The memsahib has a lemon tree about two feet high (with 7 fruits), I repotted it into citrus compost I obtained from the G/C.   You are correct that there is special citrus feed to be used during the summer only.     Nothing else to do really, just enjoy it but the fruits take quite a long time to ripen.       Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 14:32 »
You can also get winter citrus feed..don't know the difference between them but one is for summer and one for winter  :)   

boogaloo

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 22:17 »
While we're here and being citrussy I wonder if I can piggy back with a question of my own. I had an indoor lemon tree that my wife gave me. It was leafy and healthy for quite a while (no fruit) then over the winter it got a white fluffy mould on the stems (over watering and not enough heat?) then all the leaves fell off about a month ago. I gave it some citrus feed and put it on my warmest sunniest winndowsil but no sign of any growth yet. Is it a goner? Do lemons only regrow leaves when spring kicks in?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 22:44 »
Google for mealy bug - did the white fluffy stuff on the stems look like that?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 22:47 »
A bit new myself to lemon trees but i read feed every time you water them.....also my tree is still full of leaves...maybe you need to feed every time you water it to stop the leaf fall......i'm sure someone with more knowledge then me will be along soon    

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 07:37 »
I feed mine once a fortnight (or less if I forget) when I give the trees a good soak.

One tip -- they respond well to pruning, so if there are any strggly shoots develop, which happens quite often, just cut them back to above a suitably placed leaf joint.

The leaves do fall of if the plant is stressed, often too hot and dry tbh, which might sound silly but they prefer not have have blasting heat to look their best. Thet are only small trees and need a bit of help, unlike the huge ones that grow in mediterranean areas.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 11:11 »
Sorry to hi-jack but I also have a lemon-related problem: my lemon tree always looks very healthy, with plenty of new growth and masses of flowers, but the fruitlets left behind after the flowers drop off never develop into full sized lemons. They just shrivel up and fall off. I fed it religiously all through last spring and summer. It has started into growth again this year with a massive flush of flowers, but the same thing is happening. I even tried hand pollinating (although I don't believe that is supposed to be necessary) but no joy.
Rachael

xx
lemon tree advice

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2007, 13:24
by chrissie B
clip
Advice for lemon tree cutting

Started by Brad26 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 12:03
by Brad26
xx
Should I pot on my lemon tree

Started by JT101 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 19:19
by arugula
question
Lemon tree

Started by Walfre on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 06, 2015, 19:17
by SusieB

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 38 queries.