Red raw skin, dirty bottom - normal or go to the vets?

• 6 Replies
I noticed our Sussex, 2 years old now, who is queen of the roost of 4, had a really dirty bottom on the feathers from her vent.  So I cleaned her up a bit today and then saw she had a really red raw patch of skin with virtually no feathers underneth her vent.  It didn't look like a prolapse (seen and treated one of those before).  There was no blood, but claggs of poo.  Certainly if it were a human it would really be hurting!  She doesn't seem unwell, and her eggs and poo are normal (runny poo slightly but nothing that I'm not concerned about).  She's had this particularly dirty bottom for a day or two.  Should I let it sort itself out, or should I go to the Vet?

Thank you!   :(

compostqueen

Re: Red raw skin, dirty bottom - normal or go to the vets?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 18:18 »
You could make sure she is only eating her layers pellets for a while until her runs clear up. It could be too many greens

Also you could give her butt a wash. Very gently is warm water with some Fairy Liquid or kids shampoo. If you massage the claggy bits they should dissolve but you'll have to be very gentle. Rinse her very thoroughly with warm clean water and then dry her off and let her run about in the sun as you don't want her still wet when she goes to bed. I would only bathe her on a really warm day. Or you could do it indoors and dry her off there

While you have her in your hands you can check for lodgers. If she has any lice or mites you can then treat appropriately

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 20:57 »
Thanks Compost Queen.  She certainly does get quite a few human veggies and fruit as I put things out everyday for them, and as she's top of the pack, she wolfs most of it down.  Didn't know that could make their bottoms/vent skin sore!

cheekychick22

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 21:29 »
My chooks get sore bottoms due to to much veg they love to be dried with the hair dryer they stick the bums in the air amd wait for me to finish lol

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 21:51 »
Brilliant cheeky chick! :lol:
Thanks for the confirmation on the greens.  More will have to go on the compost now.

Beano

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:44 »
Dont forget to check for lice at the same time.
El.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 16:10 »
Good point.  Thanks Beano.

xx
Dirty Bottom

Started by leznwynne on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 23:20
by kooringa
xx
dirty bottom

Started by traacyken on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 26, 2014, 10:37
by traacyken
xx
Dirty Bottom - help (lots iof chicken TMI)

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 18:49
by ceri green
question
Dirty bottom & unable to catch to clean!

Started by emmaellis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:37
by emmaellis

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 38 queries.