So undecided orpys,plymouth,bantams ??

• 11 Replies

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
So undecided orpys,plymouth,bantams ??
« on: May 03, 2012, 16:16 »
Here it goes !

I have a breeder that at present has Large orpingtons about 2 weeks old & in the incubator are more ( different colours).
Next due in to incubate are plymouth rocks and after that she is doing Chocolate bantam orpingtons ( and other colours).

I had all 3 on my wish list but as she only had the large ones in the pipeline I had settled on 3 large orpys.
Ha then she tells me the rest  :unsure:  :ohmy:

Now our run enclosure is to be 9ft L  x 4ft W  x 6 ft H with corrogated roof on run and a coop inside which will be tall enough so they have all the floor space.

Do I just go with 3 large orpys OR could I do 2 large orpys and introduce a plymouth later OR do I have 1 large orpy and then introduce a plymouth and the 2 bantam orpys later ???
HELP please
 ???
Large orpys are available August, Plymouths be late sept and Bantams October

I am like a kid in a sweet shop and need some guidance please !!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: So undecided orpys,plymouth,bantams ??
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 17:16 »
I would personally go for the Bantams.  Your run size (approx 4m square) seems a little small for the larger breeds.   :(      Plus I do love Bantams.   :D

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 19:37 »
MMM see this is my dilema - I think 4 bantams would work nicely - if I can get a Black Cuckoo (stripy) I may be able to convince the eldest that she is as good as the 'stripy' plymouth she has fallen in love with !!!  :ohmy:

If I do go for Bantams it means have to wait to nearly 'pumpkin time' for them, which would mean run & coop up and treated and could even sow some seed in run for them  :D

Do the bantams have similar life span to the large true breeds ?

:) Sam

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 19:42 »
you might prefer the banties..no idea what they are like but when i had my orps....they'd go broody  at the drop of a hat...every 13 days like clockwork for one and every month for the other...lovely looking birds though and our chap was gorgeous.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

rosie14

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 22:31 »
My only experience out of your choice is with big Orpingtons and having had several other breeds over the years I love Orpies the most. That said I don't like having the same breeds at once, I like different hens to look at and different eggs but that's just me ha ha! If I were you I'd get a mixture  ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 09:16 »
With a run of that size you need to get bantams, sorry but it just isn't big enough for large fowl and large fowl orpies are very big (mostly all feather but they do take up a lot of room).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 13:26 »
Thank you eggcellent peoples !!  :)

Right I have decided to go for the Orpington Bantams in different colours  :D 

I know only have to find a Black cuckoo ( stripy/humbug) one so daughter doesn't know she hasn't  her choice of a plymouth !!!!  :ohmy:

Strange I started out thinking Bantams - then got swayed onto hybrids but still kept coming back to those true breeds ( especially orpys ) !!

Ok - now do the orpington Bantams go as broody as the large breed ?  And how do I deal with a broody hen ? !!

:) Sam

grinling

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 21:07 »
Bantams can go broody, Poppy does and 2 of the BIL do.
As soon as they go broody take them off the nest several times a day, you could try cool water on the breast.
Check which breed goes broody most as well as egg count on google.

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 20:54 »
Thanks  :)  I think the love affair has finally begun  ::)

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 09:58 »
Ok now my 'chicken lady' (or rather her hubby) seems to have changed his mind depending on what eggs he can source for Bantam orys  :ohmy:

Could I just get 2 plymouth - so like these ans there temperments etc are great for the girls ? So rather than 4 little ones have 2 big ?

So fed up - just when finally find something to suit  :(

Casey76

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 10:54 »
If your chickens are to be in the run permanently (no opportunity for free ranging in the garden), then I'm afraid your run is a little small for two large fowl :(

Barred Plymouth Rocks are a big solid hen; for your size run, you will be better off with two of the smaller hybrids such as a Black Rock, or even a commercial leghorn (which are a light breed of hen, but produce lovely big eggs for their size).

If you really want hens for egg production, the I'm afraid Orpingtons, especially bantams are not a very good choice.

Most Orps, especially bantams, are primarily from exhibition stock.  They lay small eggs for their body size, they lay relatively infrequently (3-4 eggs per week each) and readily go broody.

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 13:53 »
Ok - well they were really to be pets with benefits  :lol:

They will be in this run mostly but I am also having a moveable smaller run built too which they will go in on the paved area parts of garden.

As we are small and urban I can't do free range  :(  Also I am terrified they would fly away  :(

xx
Plymouth Rock

Started by cheshirecat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 13:23
by grumpydad
xx
Could I have a Barred Plymouth Rock?

Started by Chookie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 11:45
by Chookie
xx
Undecided

Started by cissie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 09, 2014, 22:01
by nerdle
clip
Marans or Barred/Plymouth Rock??

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 18, 2013, 17:09
by cbv8

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 38 queries.