Sick Chicken

• 7 Replies

Rose Moss

Sick Chicken
« on: February 08, 2012, 12:02 »
Sorry it is always doom and gloom when I post a question.  3 days ago I found one of my girls lying on her side in the run, I found her when I went to shut the chickens in for the night.  I got her inside and warmed her as she was cold.  No signs of injury and their run is fox proof.  She was able to flap her wings but did not want to stand so I propped her up in warm surroundings.  I have given her diarolyte, nutridrops, water, egg, complan and now a critical chicken compound.  She has no inclination to feed or drink herself so am using a pipette and opening her beak up.  Her poop has been normal although nothing passed yesterday when I thought I was losing her.  She is still hanging on and so I lifted her out today to try and examine her further.  She is very thin but still stong, flapped her wings, pushed her legs to stretch but still unable to stand which I think is something to do with her neck.  I have gently felt her neck and only extended it slightly as am petrified to hurt and distress her, nothing feels broken but I do feel it could be twisted but it is hard to tell and having examined various anatomy diagrams I cannot work out what it it.  Her head sort of sits on her body but to the side, if I get her feeding wrong then she really shakes her head so it appears she can move it when she wants to.  She has now started keeping her eye closed (the one on the underside she opens and closes).  She may be fed up with me looking at her of course.  Her eyes are still full of life, it they hadn't been then I would have had her destroyed.  So, am getting to the stage of desperation myself and don't feel I can trouble the organisations that have already been really supportive.  Can anyone give me any advice please.  Thank you.  Rose

kegs

Re: Sick Chicken
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 12:20 »
Sorry to hear about your chicken.  How old is she and what breed?

Rose Moss

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 12:36 »
She is about 4 and a bluebell.

kegs

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 13:03 »
I'm sure an expert will be along soon to confirm.  I think that Bluebells are hybrids and that 4 is quite an old age, so it could just be that she has had a stroke or heart problems.  A trip to a poultry friendly vet would confirm this.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 14:38 »
There seems to have been lots of similar posts over the past week but with diferent breeds of hen.

You could try giving Meadowsweet a call (0845 1651532) as that is the breeder of Bluebells.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Rose Moss

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 17:09 »
Sadly she has gone now.

tstainesmoore

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 17:31 »
Hey sorry to hear the news, but i beleive that as she was a bluebelle, 4 years is a good run. Normally the majority of hybrids will only last between 3-5 years, the issue was probably caused from a heart attack, when any bird refuses to eat and drink, cant stand and espiecally intends on keeping their eyes closed then unfortunately there is nothing you can do. Just old age.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 22:57 »
So sorry Rose  :(  she had a caring owner unlike a lot of commercial hens.

xx
Sick Chicken

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 09:33
by kimmcb
xx
sick chicken help pls

Started by f7rr3ll on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 16:32
by Aunt Sally
xx
sick chicken, help please

Started by bluebirds love chickens on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 18:43
by bluebirds love chickens
xx
Very sick chicken

Started by bacchus51 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 25, 2010, 21:49
by Pol

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 38 queries.