Straw vs Wood Shavings

• 4 Replies

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Straw vs Wood Shavings
« on: October 14, 2007, 20:45 »
Hi all,  

In various books and tinternet forums people have recommended using wood shavings over straw, as straw can harbour mites and is dusty, therefore gets into the chooks lungs.

Yesterday whilst at my lottie I was approached by another gardener who has kept hens for umpteen years and he said that I was better off using straw to shavings because it keeps the hens warmer.

I said that I had heard that shavings were better and gave him the reasons why but he just looked at me blankly and said "that's not the way us does it!" and handed me a big bag of straw!

I felt obliged to use the straw in their small coop which I didn't want to do.  

What are your opinions on this?  what do you all use? :?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Straw vs Wood Shavings
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 20:48 »
We use wood shavings on the floor of the houses because I think it soaks up any spills if you keep water in the house for night time and mixes better with the poo, especially if its a bit runny at times, but in the nest boxes, we now put some straw on top of the shavings to make it more comfy!

muntjac

Straw vs Wood Shavings
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 20:53 »
i use straw  and hay for nest boxes .. the rubbish i have heard about the 2 different ideas is confusing for everybody ...............ground nesting  birds make nests in the wild from straw and grass  on the ground ....... shaving are easier to clean up is all .. chicks will and do eat the small bits of shavings and die . they know about grass from thier moms pecking about for the seeds  etc,  its down to preference only ..... they all do the same job and if you hear that straw gives chicks splay legs .. tell em rollocks  :x  you dont see pheasants etc limping around the fields .. and believe it or not a blooming chicken is a pheasant  :D and chickens have been reared on straw for hundreds of blooming years before machines made shaving available ,,,, rant over  :wink: xxx
 I do hate the dodo that some so called " experts "  spout out about poultry  :x  :x  :x  :x
still alive /............

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Straw vs Wood Shavings
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 20:55 »
:lol:  Thanks for clearing that up for me Munty!  :lol:

muntjac

Straw vs Wood Shavings
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 21:25 »
ur welcome ...... sory about the rant  :oops:

xx
Straw vs shavings

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:45
by Piglit's Pullets
xx
Wood Shavings

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 09:46
by min200
xx
Chickens eating wood shavings.

Started by sammyjoe on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 12:20
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Oak Shavings

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 18:19
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 35 queries.