Sad Looking Bird

• 8 Replies

dad3

Sad Looking Bird
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:40 »
I'm still quite new to chicken keeping - about 9 months. One of my 3 birds has been looking quite sad the last couple of days - stopped laying, sulking in a corner of the garden, not eating much, slow out of the coop in the morning - which is not at all like her. She likes to think that she's the boss and is usually first up and out in the morning. Worst of all she has been doing very runny poos.  :(

I'm quite worried because we lost one of her original chums under similar circumstances shortly after getting them. That one started off in the same way and faded away over the space of 10 days. Don't want that to happen again.

Any suggestions about what it could be and where I should start?

helens-hens

Re: Sad Looking Bird
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 12:48 »
Runny poos could be a sign of worms - have you looked at the poo pics:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

When did you last worm them and did you use Flubenvet?

Let us know
Helen

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 12:51 »
also are they laying? if so when did she last lay, she could have a soft shelled egg on the way.
Staffies are softer than you think.

dad3

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 13:03 »
Have checked out the poo pics and recognised one of them!  No sign of worms in the poo but wonder if this might be the cause.

I've been using small amount of diatom powder in the food as I was told that this helps control internal parasites but haven't used flubenvet. I'll now give it a go. I've also read that cider vinegar in the water can help.

No egg from her since end of last week. Not worried about this at first because she dosn't lay every day anyway but given other symptoms perhaps there's a bit more to this.

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 13:35 »
I've heard about people using diatom in the feed but to be sure I would worm with Flubenvet. I think that when you get to the stage of worms actually being visible in droppings then the bird has got quite a heavy infestation.

There has been a lot of wet weather over the last couple of months and you may found that your hens have been enjoying plenty of worms, snails & slugs all of which can carry worms themselves.

Personally I worm my hens 3 times a year but also keep an eye on their droppings inbetween.

Do still keep an eye on her in case this isn't the main problem.

Hope she gets better soon

dad3

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 13:45 »
Thanks very much for the advice. On my way to get Flubenvet now. Will let you know how it goes.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:31 »
Reading Helens-Hens comment abaout worms/slugs/snail having worms themselves, does that mean I shouldn't feed them to my girls? When I come across them while gardening I pick them out and give the girls a feast! (though the reality is that the greedy gannet - who's not #1 in the pecking order, just the fastest - usually demolishes the lot!!). Perhaps I'm encouraging parasitic worms??
BG

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 12:54 »
Birds eat thing in the dirt they find.  They are going to come in contact with parasites even if its just wild poords pooing in their run!

As long as you control the situation with a regualr worming dose your all good.

I wouldnt worry about snails and slugs, as they will find them in the run or garden any way!
I hate signatures but love irony

Derculees

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 18:21 »
Runny poos could be a sign of worms - have you looked at the poo pics:

Just a little diversion, couldn't help smiling when I saw the Reuters news last week.

Nigerian comedian, Babatunde Omidina age 53 known as Baba Suwe was arrested at
Lagos airport by the local drug enforcement agency, suspected of drug smuggling.
He was confined for two weeks, and had 18 of his bowel movements inspected.
Made me wonder if they used similar pictures to compare  :blink: made me feel easier
about poo picking. Sorry I'll go get mah coat.
Yorkshire Rose x Scottish Thistle - nice blooms, but wear a glove

xx
bird flu

Started by citspeed on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 13:33
by Foxy
xx
Bird Flu??

Started by chickychick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 15, 2007, 18:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bird flu

Started by Selkie on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 20:45
by Selkie
xx
How to tell an old bird?

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 12:26
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 39 queries.