Hatching eggs

• 13 Replies

Fisty

Hatching eggs
« on: June 03, 2009, 12:29 »
Has anyone had experience of buying hatching eggs from the internet? One of my three bantams has been broody and I tried to get her some eggs to sit on. I have had trouble with the order and wondered if there are any websites that people would recommend or avoid.

Foxy

Re: Hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 13:00 »
I notice you are in salisbury,do you go to the rare breed sale once a month? the last 2 months they have had hatching eggs for sale, catalogue should be out soon :)

http://www.salisburyauctioncentre.co.uk/

re: the internet, ebay I wouldn't buy from, only because you dont know if the eggs are pure, cant see the breeder/stock, saying that some people have had really good results so just a chance you take.

this is a good site for hatching eggs, Leon has excellent stock, they are expensive but good quality, plus he is a very reasonable guy :)

http://www.lphpoultry.co.uk/shop/shop.php?c=ex&page=7&sid=sid11e9914fe6be274204082151c5f1399d

poppies

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 13:21 »
Hi
  agree with foxy I bought eggs from salisbury last month with excellent fertility,The next sale is on the 13th June some of them were a bit pricey but  cant get a lot of the rare breeds on the Island

Bought from ebay with good and bad results postage ups the price a bit

raeburg

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 14:53 »
It can be pot luck on the internet - last batch I hatched 10 of 13, the batch before that failed completely.  One hatched a chick that is not what the eggs were sold as - best if you can buy them directly from a breeder.

poppies

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 16:57 »
Hi , new catalogue for salisbury auction is now online, loads of hatching eggs on there, I think this is the last month they will have them this year

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 18:03 »
Thanks Poppies! off for a nose now! :D

Fisty

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 19:58 »
Thanks for all the tips. Looks like the auction is my best bet.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 23:57 »
Hi,
I sell eggs and buy eggs on eBay, the best thing is to read feedback from the sellers before you buy.
I have just candled 48 cream legbar eggs I bought off eBay and 43 are fertile.

Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 11:49 »
Hi,
I sell eggs and buy eggs on eBay, the best thing is to read feedback from the sellers before you buy.

Michelle

All the feedback usually says though is whether the eggs arrrived safely etc, not whether they are good quality or even if they hatched or not.

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 11:57 »
Hi,

Michelle

All the feedback usually says though is whether the eggs arrrived safely etc, not whether they are good quality or even if they hatched or not.

i found that too, hardly any of the feedback says what the hatch rate was, with Pippa's Polands i looked for buy it now only, and kept to the nearest places to me so they wouldn't have to travel too far.

raeburg

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 12:15 »
I try to remember to follow up the feedback with a hatching/fertility result.  But I do sometimes forget :)

dianemk73

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 13:29 »
Hi I have had some eggs from Fritton Poultry and 2 out of 4 have hatched so there doesnt appear to be a problem with posting them

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 14:29 »
Hi,

Michelle

Hi,
Not always, some people leave follow-up feedback, somes times you have to read through a few feedback to satisfy yourself. Buying hatching eggs is always a risk because no-one can guarentee that eggs are going to be fertile, I try to include pictures of recently hatched chicks in my listing and this is what I look for also when buying eggs, always a good sign. :)

Michelle

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 19:22 »
If you need some banty eggs I am currently over run with them, so I'm just eating them. You're welcome to try a  few:)

As for the LPH reccomendation check his ebay feedback before buying....thats all I'll say on that matter.

xx
Hatching eggs

Started by DS1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 22:12
by Nails
xx
Looking for hatching eggs

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 22:31
by Brad26
xx
Hatching eggs

Started by vickyb30 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 16:53
by vickyb30
xx
Considering hatching own eggs

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 13, 2011, 22:36
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 29 queries.