Do you need to close the coop at night?

• 4 Replies

OakR

Do you need to close the coop at night?
« on: September 30, 2019, 08:55 »
Hello.

Further my thread a few posts down I received approval for hens on my allotment!

So now in fullon planning mode.

Realistically as they eon't be at my house, I know at certain times of the year I won't be there to open the coop at dawn / dusk etc which means I'll likely  need to get a timer.

However, if I build a fox proof enclosure do I need to lock them in the coop if the run of secure?

I have seen chickens can roost outside, they needs ventilation but ideally not in a draft.

Does anyone do this with their hens. It will likely be in a plastic coop, probably Eglu Cube but am just seeing what is around 2nd hand.

Thanks

Al

snow white

Re: Do you need to close the coop at night?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 16:32 »
In my opinion if the enclosure is fox proof there is no need to put them in at night.  Don't see the point myself.  The whole point to put them to bed is to protect them from foxes and the like. 

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 19:35 »
No I don’t put mine in at night, they’re on my allotment & in a fox proof run with slabs dug in all the way round & a weldmesh frame on top with a weldmesh roof covered with onduline & slabs or other things laid flat all the way round the pen. The pop hole is sited away from the prevailing wind & has plastic strips covering it, think walk in freezer type plastic strips. They have an automatic water system & a treadle feeder. I do go everyday once or twice, to poo pick the house & remove eggs & see they are alright. If I’m there a couple of hours before dusk they get a sprinkle of corn.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

OakR

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 22:34 »
Thanks both very much for your replies. I'll need to see if I am confident I can make the run fox proof (I am but easy to say that before starting) and if so, sounds like this might be an option. 

I also help to get a treadle feeder, which also don't appear particularly cheap.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 15:05 »
My treadle feeder was about £24 off eBay but hasn’t got a hopper, some of those are lots more but I’ve only got 4 birds, well I had 4 birds but I’m just about to get my granddaughters 3 to add to the flock (as they are moving in with us for a few months whilst their new house is renovated  & they can’t have chickens there anyway). You have made me think I might need a bigger feeder as I don’t have to fill it that often but I’ll have to fill it more with more birds. They will come with their own I suppose so could just use that.

xx
Perches (in the coop) How close together/far apart

Started by Bigblacktaximan on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 17:02
by pink-chicken
xx
First night in their new coop

Started by gracie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 14:18
by gracie
xx
getting chickens into the coop at night

Started by richardchaplin on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 15:31
by Jeanette
xx
How to get chickens back in their coop at night.

Started by Ricco on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 17:46
by lesleyann

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 40 queries.