Chicks are hatching!

• 1 Replies

louiebunny

Chicks are hatching!
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:55 »
Hello!

I'm hatching my first batch of chicks, no signs before bed, woke up to cheeping and an empty shell!! hubby thought it was an April fools when the kids went up to tell him!  Anyhow, one hatched and 2 more pipping (out of 12) my questions are as follows

How long after their due date should I wait before concluding that all that were gonna hatch have? (due date tomorrow)

and

How long can it take from pipping to actual hatch? (one of the eggs doesnt seem to have done much at all this morning and I'm starting to get a bit worried)

thanks in advance
xx

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Chicks are hatching!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 13:04 »
Here is some information Hillfooter posted

"After about 14- 16days you can candle again and you should notice a big change the shaddow will have become a much darker region completely opague with a bright area which is the air sack which should be at one end.  If there are any which haven't developed from the initial candling discard.

Return the eggs and after 18 days stop the turning and raise the humidity to 70%RH or set up the humidifier as instructed and leave until 21 days when they should start to pip and hatch.

DO NOT attempt to assist them out of the shell and don't raise the lid until at least half the eggs have hatched.  You can transfer the first batch to the brooder at this stage and discard the egg shells as quickly as possible to avoid loss of humidity (you can mist the incubator when closing it don't wet the eggs though).  All the eggs which are going to hatch should have done so by day 22 and any which show no signs of pipping at this stage probably aren't going to but you can leave until 23 days if you like."

You might find more information here

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=52422.75

Good luck with your hatch.  Don't forget the photos.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

smiley
Chicks Hatching

Started by primrose1 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 12:29
by ANHBUC
xx
there hatching!!!

Started by massa on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 22:29
by massa
xx
They're hatching!!!!!

Started by Kathie on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 16:54
by Kathie
xx
Hatching :)

Started by Thingy on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 19:59
by lisa123

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 39 queries.