cucamelons

• 5 Replies

safetrade

cucamelons
« on: January 04, 2014, 10:11 »
hi,has any one grown these before.if so how big will they get as i will be growing them in the pollytunel and have no idea how many seeds to set away.

madcat

Re: cucamelons
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:16 »
I will be watching this thread with interest as OH was given some seeds and I havent a clue either. 

I dont have a poly so will be growing them on the back yard in pots  .....
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 11:21 »
Oh good, I bought some too - it said you didn't need a poly tunnel but I so have a small blow away I can donate to them once my seedlings have been transplanted

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:54 »
I grew cucamelons for the first time last year.  They are incredibly easy to grow.  I started mine off in a pot of seed compost, pricked them out, then planted them in May, half on the allotment without any protection and the rest in the greenhouse as an insurance policy.  Both did really well and was harvesting well into October.  They are scramblers so need some support.  In the greenhouse they soon outgrew the canes and took off into the tomatoes!  On the allotment I used some pea and bean mesh for support.   They give a bumper harvest, so many you will be giving them away.  You can pickle them apparantly so I will probably do that this year.  They are a real talking point at parties as they look like cocktail size melons and are great finger food.    I expect you got them from Suttons James Wong collection as I did.  I also grew tomatilloes which are just as easy and harvested so many I had to freeze loads.  I make salsa verde with them and everyone loves it.   :)

safetrade

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 15:15 »
thanks,i only got 6 seeds from premier seeds and was a little curious as to how prolific they were.they also say on their website that you can keep them the same way you would keep dahlias and just re plant the following spring for a earlier crop :)

xx
Cucamelons

Started by Sparkyrog on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 09:59
by CDave
xx
Cucamelons

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 13, 2013, 10:01
by Jamboian
xx
Anyone growing Cucamelons?

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2013, 19:08
by sunshineband
xx
Overwintering cucamelons

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 15:16
by Godhelm

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 40 queries.