Peppers without pep!

• 13 Replies

chiller

Peppers without pep!
« on: May 18, 2013, 10:49 »
Hello!  I'm new here, but have been reading the site for ages - brilliant place.

I have a new allotment and a new polytunnel - just one of the little'uns at 2m x 4.5.  I've planted it up with toms, aubergines, melons (all but one melon immediately died), cukes (same as melons - only one left), chillis and a couple of varieties of pepper. 

I put the peppers on the sunnier side of the tunnel - they've been in a couple of weeks now, and they are completely unchanged from the moment I planted them. It's as if someone has pressed a "pause" button on them.  Everything is a bit slow to grow on (low night temperatures, I guess I planted them out too early due to lack of experience), but should I be doing something to my peppers, or is it just a question of sit tight and wait?

Thanks in advance!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Peppers without pep!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 10:59 »
Hello and welcome - you've left out the most important piece of information which is your (approximate) location (you can add it to your personal site profile.)

Assuming you are in the UK, in most areas it's pretty cold for the time of year both day and night at the moment, and few of the most tender crops you have will be enjoying it at all.

Toms are probably the most able to cope, the others would be better brought indoors for the time being if you have somewhere warm and light to put them.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

chiller

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 11:59 »
Thank you! I'm in London, so it's fairly warm here (for a given value of "warm"). Suspect you're right and I just put them in too soon - I don't have anywhere to keep them at home, so I'll just have to watch them sit there for a bit, I fear!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 23:08 »
My peppers (bell and chilli) are 'paused too! ???

The chillis are barely a centimetre high and the bells are about 6 cm high.
Getting way behind now!

Stree

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 16:14 »
I have 6 peppers on a heated tray at 20C and 6 in pots on the U/H greenhouse floor, all doing about the same , slow but good shade of green so far. Need more light more heat more sun to do better.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 17:31 »
I'm in London too, all my chillies and toms are still on windowsills indoors with me, presumably experiencing slightly more of the given value for 'warm' but still not very high. The chillies were started at the end of Feb and the most vigorous of them are now about 10 inches high. There are quite a few sulking at the shallow end though...

I'm keeping them inside till mid-June-ish/temperatures go a bit higher.

Headgardener22

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 21:25 »
My peppers have stopped growing as well. It seems to happen every year, they get to a size around early May (different size every year) and then pause then get going again mid June. I've never worked out why. Tried feeding them and everything but it seems to always be the same.

stainesbloke

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 10:42 »
Same thing has happened to my peppers in my polytunnel, they have been in 3 weeks now and have grown an inch, if that! The tomatoes are romping away. Guess its due to the cold weather we've had. Getting warmer now so they should start growing again, fingers crossed :)

barley

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 23:00 »
snap ...... Qcumbers all but one died ......... courgettes didn't even germinate , marrows struggling

and peppers are on pause for a month now

never had this happen before over my 20 years of growing crops

it must be the freeky weather poor plants aren't sure what season were in  :blink:

cadalot

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 06:21 »
My little fellows seem to growing OK they are in the kitchen by the patio door, the best one has four true leafs and is about 2" or 50mm high and seems to like his new plastic drink cup he was potted into from a small pot load I started off.

I'm going to make a small polytunnels or large 4ft x 4ft cloche using a timber frame, 3 blue water pipe hoops and cover it in plastic to try and grow them in - after seeing what the fox did to my netting last night not sure how long it wall last?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 06:42 by cadalot »

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 13:27 »
If mine don't get much bigger soon I might not bother this year :(
We'll lose all the warm sun and they won't produce well anyway.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 20:43 »
They have actually doubled in size with little watering ???

Methinks ignore them and they'll do ok, mollycoddle and they'll be goners! :D

seaside

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 19:24 »
It's very easy to over water peppers and bog them down, and I'm beginning to think all hot weather young plants like peppers, courgettes, squash etc do a bit and then have a period of stasis before they go for it.... probably need constant temperatures rather than the odd day or two ... maybe they know they're being tricked. It's one thing to start their cycle, it's another to make the real big decision to mature and set fruit.
My own sown peppers have just started to put on some proper growth this week, and the leaves all look much more healthy and sappy. Looks like some will start to flower in a week. Not bad considering my over wintered plants I was relying on  for early produce took a dive.
Tomatoes are quite different in my experience and are easier to grow well earlier.

cadalot

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 06:45 »
Seaside - just read your strap line - is that because Noddy would not pay the ransom?

clip
Hot peppers

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 09:12
by compostqueen
xx
peppers...

Started by andy and deb on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 18:15
by arugula
xx
sweet peppers

Started by LILLILEAF on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2018, 12:17
by mumofstig
xx
Bell Peppers

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

18 Replies
Last post September 08, 2014, 16:49
by Springlands

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 40 queries.