chickens

• 16 Replies

sueb123

chickens
« on: October 02, 2012, 20:24 »

hi i have 1 chicken which was laying regular up until 6 weeks ago she is about 20 months old, i have had her broudy but we got over that, and i know she is not broudy now, also i have 2 bamptons which have never laid they are about 8 months i would be most greatfull if someone could help.
ps i hope i have done this right because this is my first time in writing
many thanks
Sue Bailey

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 20:27 »
Hello and welcome to the Forum.
I'll move your post into the The Hen House where you should get some help  :)

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 20:47 »
Hi there and welcome  - your 20mth old is probably due to moult and re-grow a new set of feathers.  

Hens do not have the energy to grow feathers and lay eggs, so generally will cease lay for a couple of months.  If she is a high laying hybrid she may well start again after than, otherwise she will wait till the days begin to lengthen sometime after Christmas I have never heard of a Bampton, but now the days are shortening younger birds may again choose to start their lay as daylight hours improve.  You may be lucky and get them start this month, otherwise it will be Jan probably.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 15:45 by darkbrowneggs »
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

yaxley

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 21:08 »
Hi and welcome to the forum ...... :)

''I have never heard of a Bampton '':unsure: Think this may be a spelling error think it may be bantams ..
Grow organic as nature intended

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:15 »
Hi Sue and welcome to the site.  As darkbrowneggs says it will probably be down to moult and the shorter days.  I also have 2 bantams that are about the same age and they have not started to lay yet either.  If they start to lay soon they will hopefully lay over the winter.   ;) 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

sueb123

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 13:32 »
hi thank you all, it has been a really great help :D

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 15:46 »
That's interesting on my post which mentions Christmas it has been "struck through" is this an unacceptable word on this forum?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 16:05 »
That's interesting on my post which mentions Christmas it has been "struck through" is this an unacceptable word on this forum?

Think it is just friendly bit of banter on the forum.  Shops are always full of seasonal stuff months before so it is an ongoing joke not to mention it.   :D

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 19:24 »
 :)  Ahhhhaa....... I understand now   :)  Know what you mean about Christmas..... I think it's probably a "woman of a certain age" (hope not to offend anyone) thing - ie the one who has to get everything done, and has done so for at least 25 years .......everyone else just looks forward to it ::)   I look forward to the day after Boxing Day, and New Year's Day is even better  ;)

grinling

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 19:58 »
Have the chickens got access to oyster shell and greens (lawn or cabbage etc) as it helps to absorb calcium.
Have the bantams got bright red combs?
I had a bantam which never laid, but had other hens so weren't bothered.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 21:56 »
Yay! soon be Christmas and the jolly fat man in red will be about again, maybe he'll bring me some bamptons lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

sueb123

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 09:18 »
hi yes the chickens/bantams have full run of garden, but they like eating rhubarb leaves and they do eat greens and they have oyster shell, and the bantams have no combs yet, thank you for your replies i am very grateful.

Beano

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 10:23 »
Hi,
You need to stop them eating rhubarb leaves. They stop them from absorbing some essential nutrients (not sure which). The trouble is, they love them and I have to chase them away from the rhubarb patch. No need to panic because it doesn't kill them instantly like poison. But don't let them eat any more!
El.

sueb123

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 20:15 »
hi thank you for that i didn't know mind you they have eaten it all, so they can't eat any more, i just hope they are all right, my husband said you pay out for layers pellets, crushed maize, corn and fresh veg but they would still rather eat rhubarb and strawberry plants they have not touched the green beans.    :)

Beano

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 09:24 »
I've just googled rhubarb and chickens and found this:-
Rhubarb leaves have "oxylic acid" in it in high amounts. Oxylic acid leaches calcium out of the body, which is why your teeth feel "raw".

Hope that helps.

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
Chickens in the loo!

Started by daveonions on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post December 20, 2008, 20:52
by Mr Chookles

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 34 queries.