pickles question

• 11 Replies

juliec

• Experienced Member
pickles question
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:48 »
I love this site and the fact that we can ask frugal living questions without folk thinking we are mean!

Any way wheres my next question.  My family go through a lot of shop bought pickles and I hate throwing the pickling vinegar away when all the picles have been used.  Can this vinegar be used to pickle a few of my own (very few ) home grown onions.

Also I have some everlasting onions (started with one bunch of 8) now have about ten patches of 6-8 growing and am hoping there will be enough next year to do some thing with.

Does any one have experience with these onions, (which I understand only grow to spring onion size) and can they be pickled.

Agan many thanks
to you all for reading and answering.

Jools

8doubles

Re: pickles question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 11:18 »
From an earlier post, http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=42403.0

I`m all for frugal but there is also 'spoiling the ship for a ha`pennyworth of tar'. :)

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 12:10 »
Thanks 8doubles.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 19:35 »
I have a friend who loves to recycle pickle vinegar, but it first needs to be strained of any mold, boiled, a bit of extra vinegar added and then used. But only for one more time as the 'pickling' ingredients are mostly used up. You can always try one small jar's worth and see how it works out, but don't tempt fate too often.

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 19:49 »
I put my used vinegar on chips too, it's lovely, not as sharp as proper vinegar but the spiced element is delicious.

Next time you're pickling, buy twice as much vinegar as you need, it's cheap if you know where to get it!  I go to the market where I get my onions from, the fella there does me a nice little deal if I buy a few gallons.  I also chuck in 1 part cheap sherry to every 2 of vinegar to make it last longer, the result is lovely!

noshed

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 11:01 »
I might try that...
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:06 »
I put my used vinegar on chips too, it's lovely, not as sharp as proper vinegar but the spiced element is delicious.

Next time you're pickling, buy twice as much vinegar as you need, it's cheap if you know where to get it!  I go to the market where I get my onions from, the fella there does me a nice little deal if I buy a few gallons.  I also chuck in 1 part cheap sherry to every 2 of vinegar to make it last longer, the result is lovely!

Shame we dont eat many chips!!

Are you telling us that vinegar goes off quicker without sherry.  Im all for adding a splash of alcohol to anything!!

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 18:55 »

Shame we dont eat many chips!!

Are you telling us that vinegar goes off quicker without sherry.  Im all for adding a splash of alcohol to anything!!

Well, I did really mean that you end up with more pickling liquor, but if you'd like to use a longer expiry date as an excuse to consume some more sherry, then why not!  One thing I've found though is that pickles made this way don't retain their crunch as well.  They're by no means soft, but not as crunchy as I like them sometimes.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 23:57 »
There is a section here on pickling etc so have a browse there as that will answer any queries you may have and give you ideas to start you off down the preserves route  :)

I did roasted beets pickled with slivers of raw shallot this year. Absolutely gorgeous  :D

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 10:36 »
I did roasted beets pickled with slivers of raw shallot this year. Absolutely gorgeous  :D
[/quote]

mmm now those sound delicious and my beets are ready to be pulled up, is the recipe on here?

thanks

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 10:44 »
I think someone else on here has followed the recipe, and it's from the Delia online website

You roast your beets in foil in the oven (why foil I don't know) It brings out their exquisite sweetness.

Go and have a look for it, you won't be disappointed

Have you got the shallots to go with the beets?  :)

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 11:21 »
no but I can buy some.

thanks

xx
pickles!

Started by puravida on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post October 29, 2007, 08:04
by gobs
sad
Salty Pickles

Started by CarolynAnne on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 07:40
by New shoot
xx
Non Brine Pickles

Started by Markw on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 15:44
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
blue pickles

Started by Emma on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2006, 12:37
by muntjac

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 40 queries.