Harvesting seeds

• 6 Replies

FRUITFULL

Harvesting seeds
« on: February 22, 2009, 17:45 »
We have been planting our cucumber seeds today and was wondering,if we saved the seeds from the cucumbers we grow this summer could we use them to sow next year?We do it with the runner beans and it works.
We also bought a tomatoe back from our greek holiday last year and saved the seeds,would they grow?
Just looking at saving money on seed buying  :D

zazen999

Re: Harvesting seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 17:49 »
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/

If you go to the above website, it will give you info on seed saving.

It depends on whether the seeds originally are F1 or open pollenated....and for cucurbits - whether you manage to keep the pollen of other plants out. You can do this by isolating the flowers...but to be perfectly honest - cucurbits are the main seeds that I don't bother with [along with carrots] as they are really difficult to isolate and the resultant plants aren't always true to type.

But the real seeds website has a wealth of info.

The toms will usually be ok...

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 15:35 »
I think we should all be saving more of our own seeds - they are getting so expensive to buy!
A bit of variation if they have cross pollinated is not a bad thing - we don't often want to harvest everything at once like the commercial growers most seeds are aimed at.

I have even gone astep further and allowed some things to self seed then moved the seedlings to where I wanted them. Worked really well with Rocket, Lambs lettuce and land Cress, haven't bought seed of these for 6 years!
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 18:09 »
I love the idea of seed saving.

have tried with sweet pepper and tomato's and beans. This year I want to try and save melon, squash,cucumber,beans,tomato,pepper, chilli,peas and herbs. If I manage it it will save me a small fortune each year.

I hope to encourage the other people on our site to save seed so that we could swop.

I'm assuming it's difficult to save seed from sweetcorn and leeks as I can't find any info about it. 
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

Stripey_cat

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 19:09 »
Leeks you do like onions: let them stay in the ground overwinter and bolt in the spring.  Unless you're doing several types or there are ornamentals around, you should be safe from cross-pollination problems.

Sweetcorn will be a royal PITA: unless no-one is growing a different variety for half-a-mile around you can't guarantee true-breeding, and random crosses are very unpredictable.

Curcurbits, runner beans and peppers all need isolating, or you'll get some very odd hybrids (interspecies hybrids in the first case)!

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 19:10 »

I'm assuming it's difficult to save seed from sweetcorn and leeks as I can't find any info about it. 
You can save your own sweetcorn seed if it's not F1 hybrid (progeny can vary enormously)
but need a good season to get it to ripen and dry off

leeks are not difficult, they flower in the second year, I had some self seed ie seedlings sprang up around one which flowered the year before

TRY   IT OUT and report back??

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 19:35 »
Leeks you do like onions: let them stay in the ground overwinter and bolt in the spring.  Unless you're doing several types or there are ornamentals around, you should be safe from cross-pollination problems.

Sweetcorn will be a royal PITA: unless no-one is growing a different variety for half-a-mile around you can't guarantee true-breeding, and random crosses are very unpredictable.

Curcurbits, runner beans and peppers all need isolating, or you'll get some very odd hybrids (interspecies hybrids in the first case)!

You can save your own sweetcorn seed if it's not F1 hybrid (progeny can vary enormously)
but need a good season to get it to ripen and dry off

leeks are not difficult, they flower in the second year, I had some self seed ie seedlings sprang up around one which flowered the year before

TRY   IT OUT and report back??
[/quote]

Oh this sounds good.

Well the leeks and sweetcorn are both from realseeds so any seed saving should be true to type.

So with the sweetcorn would I need to make a isolation cage like I do for peppers .

I was planning on growing 2 different types of leeks Bleu de Solaise and Jaune de Poitou  Yellow Leek so I'm assuming that will make things difficult.

Any advice would be very welcome

xx
Harvesting seeds

Started by the Kergan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 16:53
by the Kergan
xx
harvesting seeds for growing

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 12:21
by LilacSandy
xx
What are you still harvesting?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post December 29, 2013, 21:42
by Madame Cholet
xx
Harvesting PSB

Started by someoneorother on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 12:57
by someoneorother

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 37 queries.