Our Neanderthal genes

• 6 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Our Neanderthal genes
« on: February 08, 2019, 17:43 »
When the weather turns violent like it is now with 60 mph gusts of wind, I find I cannot settle to do things. I imagine our Neanderthal ancestors were a bit like this only their fears were real, mine are just imagined

Growster...

Re: Our Neanderthal genes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 18:48 »
I suspect they just 'got on with it' Alan!

Couldn't read, had no TV (such as it is - lucky them with the rubbish around nowadays), did the business of finding food, and then went home to make wheels and fire!

Mrs Growster and I have reverted to this type of lifestyle, no live TV, own pursuits (admittedly reading is top of the list so not a tick there), DVD watching (looking at plants would have been a whole evening's entertainment), and talking to each other with a tincture in hand...

Possibly, one day, the 'experts' will wonder what went wrong, but to normal people, life goes on!

Who needs 'experts' when everything is so clear to reasonable discussion!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 10:52 »
I bet they produced lots of children  :D :D :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 13:08 »
The men did a lot of painting and made hunting and other tools, and the women stayed at home cooking, cleaning and mending (nothing's changed a lot there) but believe it or not they also found out how to make ale! Not a lot of men know that!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7538264/Men-owe-women-for-creating-beer.html
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 06:44 »
That's interesting, GG!

The Kent hop gardens used to cover the place, and I only know of a few now. A good chum, who lives in an old village brewery claims that beer was probably the only way to consume clean water, and while it did have some virtues back then, flavour, ABV and body were hardly appreciated!

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 11:45 »
You're right about it being far more safe than drinking water. The Abbey canons made a lot of ale and quite enjoyed it too because it gave them some sort of relief from their harsh existence. Unfortunately, some were castigated for being drunk when attending the evening services! 

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 14:06 »
Yes women were the brewers, the first brew was the adult ale and the same mash put through again was low alcohol small beer suitable and safer for youngsters .

A couple or three pints of ale and i hit the duvet the weather can do what it likes !. :)

I always found stormy weather while camping or caravaning very cosy compared to being al fresco !

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 46 queries.