Calling computer/printer experts

• 10 Replies

mrs bouquet

Calling computer/printer experts
« on: May 27, 2018, 12:59 »
I have wasted a few hours because my HP Envy 4520 all in one printer, has stopped printing.  All I need to do is print a map directions for travelling. Gets as far as the printer, and I cannot find the place on the printer to do it.   I have never had a problem before, and a friend has just looked and she can't do it either.
Have tried HP solutions on-line, and even spoken to a virtual helper (who was no help at all)
What do I do now, any advice would be most welcome, but I am not very computer literate, so please use easy words.   :D :D thanks, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

Re: Calling computer/printer experts
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 13:32 »
Ah Mrs B. I well understand how you feel when you do something that always works and for some unknown reason doesn't.
1) Are you trying to print something from your PC or whatever. If so do you get the printer window showing on your screen?
2) Have you checked that all the connections to and from your printer are clean, firmly attached, and that you've not had a little mousie nibbling at your cables?
3) Try switching everything off, wait a couple of minutes, switch everything back on, then try again.
4) Not sure what you mean when you say you can't find the "place" on the printer to do it. Can you explain a bit more about what you mean by that.
5) If doing it from your PC, check that the printer you're using is still listed. I use Windows 10 and would access that by clicking on My PC desktop icon then choose printer from the system settings window.
6) Have you had any recent system updates? One I had a couple of months ago stopped my PC connecting to my printer to let me know if any of my inks were getting low but I ignored it and can still use my printer.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 13:48 »
What are you printing from ? Computer & software wise.

If it's being sent to the printer - and you can see that on the printer status, chances are it's paper size and the printer is waiting for you to load the correct one.  Most printers will spit the print out if you continue by pressing "online" or similar.  But double check the document source - this used to happen a lot when letter was the default setting rather than A4.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 15:20 »
ok. my laptop is Windows 10, my server is google.  I have turned off my router and reswitched it.  Then I went to Envy printer on left hand side, and pressed and the result says - http://192.168.1.66 is not correct.
I don't get it !!, as far as I know nothing has changed.  Although I have noticed that I have no toolbar at the top, so no printer icon.  it has suggested checking http etc on Bing, but that said cannot find this page.

Anytime now its going hurtling down the garden.   What do I do next please, Mrs Bouqet

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 16:00 »
The ip address (192.168 etc) is the number to reach the printer, it's allocated by the router (normally) and if it moves about your router should tell the computer where to find it.  If the printer has that address now but didn't it's not wrong just not what you used to have and your computer doesn't know where to print.

Assuming the internal ip on your computer is in the same range (192.168.1.x) you should just be able to ask windows to look for the printer and it should find it at the new location. If it's gone very pear shaped it's best to remove the printer from device/printers and then do add new printer.

If you have the envy cd you should be able just to reinstall the drives and it will sort things out automagically.  Just watch out for more than one copy of the driver and trying to print to the wrong one.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 16:19 »
My neighbour's cat knows more about wireless printing than I do, but it would appear your printer can do its own diagnostics if you are still flummoxed after reading Lardman's advice:

If connecting your printer to the network was unsuccessful
• Confirm that wireless is enabled on your printer.
1. From the printer control panel, touch (Wireless).
2. If it shows Wireless Off, touch (Settings), and then turn wireless on.
• Confirm that your printer is connected to your network.
1. From your printer control panel, touch (Wireless).
2. Touch (Settings).
3. Touch Print Reports, and then touch Wireless Test Report. The Wireless Test Report is automatically printed.
4. Check the top of the report to see if something failed during the test.
– See the DIAGNOSTICS RESULTS section for all tests that were performed, to determine whether or not your
printer passed.
– From the CURRENT CONFIGURATION section, find out the Network Name (SSID) to which your printer is
currently connected. Make sure that the printer is connected to the same network as your computer.

source: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04781153

(Elsewhere it recommends powering off the router, and then the printer, then switching them back on in the same order as a trick which sometimes untwists the knickers.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 12:44 »
Thank you everybody for taking the time to read and reply.   I have now tried all the advice you have given.
It finally told me that something or body had been trying to use it fraudulently. (probably me fiddling around).  So in the end I have called 3 days enough and emailed my computer tutor, who is a real professional and told him the probs.
I expect he will eventually come up a sort it out, and I shall write it very carefully into my computer notebook in my own idiot speak.  I am sure Les will do it in a few minutes.  He charges £30 an hour, so he can teach me something else as well.  (Brilliant, if I can remember !)  Thanks again folk, I will post the outcome  :D  regards Mrs Bouquet

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 13:37 »
If your are printing using wifi suggest use usb cable.

Good luck.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 18:49 »
My computer tutor/saviour has been this afternoon, and the problem was the comp and printer were not talking to each other because the http: code number had change.  Apparently it can do that sometimes !  (well, it would happen to mine, wouldn't it).  So after a bit of a twiddle, and deleting some stuff on my I-player, and then playing around with the TV (I have now got ITV 3, but sadly I cannot record on it)
All is fixed.  Then I told him what I pay for my BT bill each month, and he said he can halve that, so he is coming back next week, to dazzle me with Sky, or something and to only use the landline for incoming calls or something like that.   I just nod and shake.  He was here for 1 and a half hours and charged me £30,.
I think I am in love with him   :D  he certainly is my new best friend.
So thanks to you all for your help and advice.  regards Mrs Bouquet

jezza

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 19:56 »
Hi I'm not an expert but I do know if the signals wrong put a coffee machine between computer and printer some one I know makes nice coffee every time she presses print you need about 12 pint mugs for an hours printing we moved the coffee machine to another room it sorted the problem

grinling

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 13:21 »
I find itv3 never records after midnight.

xx
New printer...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post June 21, 2021, 19:10
by jezza
xx
printer photocpier

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post February 18, 2018, 20:47
by jezza
xx
computer reliance

Started by wighty on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2020, 11:59
by al78
xx
More Computer Advice Please

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

30 Replies
Last post July 19, 2018, 22:13
by grinling

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.