Is six inches too much ?

• 7 Replies

trogg

Is six inches too much ?
« on: March 28, 2011, 14:37 »
I want to put a greenhouse on my allotment, but the council allotment rules state that the maximum sizes allowed for a greenhouse is 10' x 8'
I have a greenhouse that is 12'6" x 8'3" I can cut off 2' which is the size of one 'glass' bay but that would still leave it over what is allowed  :(

I could make the length smaller but that would mean I would have to cut down several pieces of glass, but to make the front (8'3") smaller would be a right pain .

Now, I was wondering if the sizes 8'x10' , 6'x8' , 8'x12' etc, was the size of the glass only, ie an 8' greenhouse would have 4 rows of 2' glass but once you took into account the framework between the glass and externally, the green house would be a few inches larger.

An example, Screwfix are selling a greenhouse which is advertised as 6'x8', but gives the external measurements as 6'4"x8'5" .

Sorry to go on  :wacko: but what do you think ? 
boing boing

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Is six inches too much ?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 15:07 »
I think your calculations are exactly right - 8'X6' are the "nominal" dimensions and of course it will be both longer and wider than that for the reasons you state.

I would be amazed if the rules didn't allow for that, otherwise all the 8X6 greenhouses on the site now would have to be demolished or "trimmed"!  :ohmy:  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 16:10 »
I agree, those measurements are nominal, not exact, so any greenhouse that says it measures 8'x6' is actually slight larger.

Now then, on the subject of whether your trimmed greenhouse would still be too big, well I think you'll be fine unless you come up against a council jobsworth. My advice would be to go to your site secretary and run your plan past them. Also it's worth checking with your neighbouring plot holders to see if they're ok with your idea!

Hope that helps :)

trogg

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 16:45 »
Thanks both for your replies, you've both said what I thought, so I'm going to cut it down and erect it at the allotment, and see if anything is said.

I did talk to one of the committee at the weekend and he said as long as it's within the allowed measurements it would be ok, although I told him it was 12' being cut down to 10', it wasn't till I measured it (today) that I realised it was slightly over size.

Although thinking about it, nobody will be able to measure it because it's on my land  :tongue2:

ex-cavator

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 18:25 »
Although thinking about it, nobody will be able to measure it because it's on my land  :tongue2:

... apart from the Council, who no doubt own the land and therefore have right of access.

But I can't imagine for one moment they would really object to a few inches either way  :nowink:

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 18:38 »
I think I should emphasise the need to check with your neighbours too, the chances are that you'll be reported to the council (if it happens, touch wood it doesn't) by someone who owns a plot there and has a problem with the greenhouse's large size.  Get your neighbours on side and you'll fine!

trogg

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 22:10 »

... apart from the Council, who no doubt own the land and therefore have right of access.

But I can't imagine for one moment they would really object to a few inches either way  :nowink:

Was suggesting the committee couldn't just come on my land and measure up  :) although the council couldn't either, without my permission or jumping through a few 'legal' hoops, although, like you said, a few inches shouldn't be a problem and if it was I would just have to get me hacksaw out again  :)

I think I should emphasise the need to check with your neighbours too, the chances are that you'll be reported to the council (if it happens, touch wood it doesn't) by someone who owns a plot there and has a problem with the greenhouse's large size.  Get your neighbours on side and you'll fine!

We are allowed sheds and greenhouses to the rear of the plot only, at the back of my greenhouse will be a hedge, to the side a shed and to the other side is a compost heap, so the greenhouse would not cast any shadow to anyone's allotment, also my one neighbour was looking forward to me having a greenhouse, so he could 'compare notes'

I think I'm worrying about nothing  ::)

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 14:01 »
Walk around your site and see whats on other plots.
Our council has the same rules but never enforce them as long as they are in good condition.
Large polytunnels / sheds in plain view and they have inspections every couple of months during the summer.

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 35 queries.