Green Manures....again

• 4 Replies

annied

Green Manures....again
« on: October 03, 2009, 22:57 »
Hi
this is my first posting and on a topic that has been a round for a while. Basically we have a plot that was covered in brambles for 9years!!! and although we have had some success with toms and runner beans this year (its our 2nd summer) it seriously needs some nutrition and something to break up the heavy clay. I want to sow green manure over the winter ( I know its getting late) and wonder if anyone can suggest which is best. Digging in will be by hand.
I know other threads say use manure, but there is no vehicular access to out site and so we dont get any delivered and buying small bags is too expensive and we have to carry them a long way!!
So heres hoping you guys can help us. Our plot is in the greater london area.
Cheers in anticipation

Salmo

Re: Green Manures....again
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:35 »
Read 27 times and no replies so lets have a go.

You can sow winter tares, field beans, grazing rye or italian ryegrass now. They will establish and then grow away fast at the first hint of Spring. It is probably best to allow these to grow to produce bulk for digging in so plan to plant late crops to follow them eg runner beans, squashes, main crop potatoes, brassicas. They should be dug in a month before you plant the next crop to allow them to start to rot down.

Winter tares and field beans are legumes and will fix nitrogen in their roots for the following crop to use as well as producing bulk green material for digging in. They are both easy to dig in.

Grazing rye and italian ryegrass both produce green material for digging in but also have large fiborous root systems which will help the soil structure no end. Grazing rye can be a bit of a brute and you may need to mow it off to control it before digging. Italian rye grass is less vigorous and easier to manage but if you want bulk go for the grazing rye.

Next Spring you could look at sowing phacelia or mustard as a short term green manure before later planted vegetables. These will both give reasonable bulk of green material in about 3/4 weeks.

You could also look at sowing  clover for a longer period to be dug in  at the end of the Summer. I know this takes the land out of production for a year but it would improve the soil. Italian ryegrass can also be left to grow for the Summer but mow it before it seeds.

Make a compost heap.

annied

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 14:14 »
Cheers Salmo
thanks very much for that. I was beginning to think I wasnt going to get an answer and was going to go with Field beans. Can you inter plant both ie the rye grass and the beans in the one section or is it better to concentrate on one this year and use the other the follwing year

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 17:51 »
Grow them seperately as this will make them easier to manage. Why not try a block of each and see which you like best?

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 18:06 »
Our site is difficult to get to as well. I planted the rows wide and sowed the green manures in between and then dug them in. They grow much faster in the summer.
always have a target
and an objective.

smiley
GREEN MANURES

Started by lincolnlad on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 21:46
by peapod
xx
Green Manures

Started by 18Forts1999 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2015, 11:04
by gremlin
xx
green manures

Started by sizer247 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 20:18
by sizer247
xx
green manures

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 19:57
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 33 queries.