What to do now?

• 5 Replies

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
What to do now?
« on: October 30, 2022, 16:40 »
Have this flower bed at my allotment (see pic) - have no clue with flowers etc. what should I do now with the Gladioli (died back), and the Dahlia (still in flower) and the daisy looking flower ? (still in flower), also generally with the bed itself. Thank you.
Flower bed.jpg
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 16:41 by bobbyt »

snowdrops

Re: What to do now?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 17:05 »
The dahlia will blacken after the first good frost, so clear it away to the compost bin along with any other spent foliage. I heavily mulch my dahlia’s & gladioli & have got them through a few winters like this. The alternative is to dig them up & store frost free over the winter. The other one is an English marigold & a heavy frost will kill it off but it will no doubt have self seeded itself around so will survive next year that way
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 18:00 »
Lift the Gladioli corms and store them dry, somewhere cool, but frost-free, same with the Dahlias.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 12:00 »
The dahlia will blacken after the first good frost, so clear it away to the compost bin along with any other spent foliage. I heavily mulch my dahlia’s & gladioli & have got them through a few winters like this. The alternative is to dig them up & store frost free over the winter. The other one is an English marigold & a heavy frost will kill it off but it will no doubt have self seeded itself around so will survive next year that way

Couldn't have put it better myself.    What a pretty bed.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 15:32 »
Thank you Mrs Bouquet, it looked great in the summer with Gladioli and the other flowers that have now died back, quite proud of it. Bees are still on the Dahlia which surprised me. Thanks everyone, I shall take your advice, and store them over winter.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 15:58 »
I've taken the Gladioli corms out and have them drying in the greenhouse in trays. The only little concern I had was that I read somewhere to cut off the dead stems about 2 inches long, but the stems just sort of fell out of the corms whole, is that ok? The Dahlia still have buds and are green, so I plan to leave those a while yet, does that all sound good?

Also there are lots of little balls attached to some of the corms less than the size of a pea, are they baby ones? There are so many I wouldn't know what to do with them.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 35 queries.