We have our chickens! :)

• 32 Replies

lucyeff

« on: October 22, 2007, 19:51 »
After ANOTHER sleepless night (worrying about taking stuff back to the shop where I was sold a shed load of rubbish), we finally just went and picked them up. Si was out at the crack of a sparrows fart trying to finish the run and so we just went and picked them up with the thought that we would shut them in the coop while he finished the run off.

When we got to the house, they were in the front garden (1ft wall) being cuddled by their kids - not at all what I expected! They're fab - we ended up having them pecking around the back garden while Si was finishing off (which took him til about 6.30 tonight), and they seemed happy as Larry. Dad has been round  - he was all emotional seeing Daisy our 2 yr old telling them to drink their pop (water) and fussing round them, she was a little wary at first but I think she would have spent the night in the coop with em if she could, lol!

So far so good...the lady who gave us them saved us one of their eggs too which we've already eaten!  :D  I thought they'd be smaller and scrawny but their lovely, ISA browns. I'm converted! Still fancy some of those Pekin bantams, too...  :lol:

Thanks everyone, I'm really pleased we have them. The advice from here has been great  :D

I'll try and post some pics when we've settled down here a bit, it's chaos at the mo....

Luce

Selkie

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 19:55 »
aaah! that's great news - good luck with them! :D

it'll be so nice for your kids to grow up with them

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 20:19 »
:wink:
 " werks for me "
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 20:37 »
Looking forward to seeing your pictures Lucy  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 23:38 »
And some more children will learn a bit about looking after animals and know where their eggs come from!!!!!

Brilliant, good luck with them!!!!

agapanthus

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 00:40 »
Good luck from me too!! :)

lucyeff

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 09:43 »
It's like Christmas ere..me and Si were awake early dying to go outside to see what had been happening in the coop - the family we got them from kept them free ranging and just had a tarpaulin up for them to roost under, they didn't seem interested in their perches at all and it looks like they spent the night sat on the floor  :?

We had one egg....Daisy ran straight for the coop and grabbed it - and promptly dropped it on the floor and broke it - the chickens ate most of it before Si got chance to shift it, I just hope they don't get a taste for em  :shock:

So far they've eaten Daisy's chives (she helped herself to them pre chickens but they're well gone now), a lot of lavender, and dug a huge hole, and the run door hasn't been closed at all! The back garden plants have survived gallons of rottweiler wee and I figure they're bomb proof, so I'm not bothered - we'll just have to have a shift about to ensure damage limitation.

Unfortunately, Daisy can't pronounce 'breakfast' yet, it comes out as the swear word associated with a fatherless child (we never say it, it's just one of those things I hope she grows out of..) so her running about the garden this morn shouting 'b*s*ard chickens!' at the top of her voice on loop probably means the health visitor will be asked by the neighbours to call on us  :lol:  

My mum came to visit in her posh gear yesterday, then went straight out into the garden and picked up one of the chickens to have a good look - Si was shocked cos his mum doesn't like chickens (heh heh...). I think my mum and dad will be visiting more often as they thought they were wonderful - and I think the mother in law might be a bit more wary.  :wink:

It is great to have something for the kids to look after, you're right - I figured that whether it's a nightmare or brilliant, she'll remember it fondly when she gets old  :)  

(Sorry for waffling btw...I type fast and I'm not very concise, plus I don't get much adult company so I'm making the most of finding some  :oops: )

The suns out a bit ere anyway - hope it is where you all are  :D

Lucy

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 10:05 »
wot a fun time your going to have when you get chicks ..................  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: im not sur who is enjoying them more lmao :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:15 »
They make such great pets in the garden don't they Lucy.  Much more fun than rabbits and guinea pigs (We've had both)

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 11:31 »
sitting on the floor? mine did that. every night for 2 weeks or so, when I locked them up I had to man handle them onto the perch. they soon got the message. Problem is, if they sleep on the floor they are sleeping in their own poo.. best try to teach them what a perch is for...

lucyeff

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 11:46 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
They make such great pets in the garden don't they Lucy.  Much more fun than rabbits and guinea pigs (We've had both)

Oh yes, I agree with you there...I've had both in the past too as a kid, it's that horrible squealing noise guinea pigs that I'm not keen on. And a neighbour said the farmer had spread mixomatosis (sp?) to get rid of rabbits so noone here keeps them. Not sure how true that is, dad said it sounds unbelievable but I really don't know.

I wondered whether we should try and encourage them onto their perches, we'll give it a go tonight Sadgit. We've had another 2 eggs since this morning's accident (and another broken one - toddlers aren't so good at holding them but they sure won't give the * back... :roll: ).

I'm slightly regretting opening a bale of straw one handed in the open run. Them bales are quite deceptive aren't they  :oops: We now have a very small garden full of straw. And kitchen. And child...Si's at a funeral today in Cleethorpes (family friend - 102!) so I'm left with it for the time being cos I can't put the baby down without her going crackers. Bit worried about mice etc but I guess should be ok as long as we don't leave food lying around on a night?

Dad's off this week so might see if he fancies helping out straw shifting. (ie doing it while I point and make cuppas..)  :wink:

Luce

muntjac

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 11:52 »
nice place cleethorpes .great place to leave  lolo. as for the myxamatosis a farmer wont need to spread it around .,it does that naturally and it dont afect guinea pigs .only rabbits and the vet give useless innoculations  for a £30 fee , have a bale brace made up .2 flats of plywood about 14 by 18inch  use a large wirght to hold in place .werks for my hay :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 12:46 »
Quote from: "lucyeff"
We've had another 2 eggs since this morning's accident (and another broken one - toddlers aren't so good at holding them but they sure won't give the * back... :roll: ).

Get her (or him - I've forgotten) a little bucket, sand castle type and line it with some of your straw  :roll:   The eggs will be much safer in there  :idea:

Selkie

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 13:04 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
werks for my hay :wink:

a nice variation on your motto munty :lol:

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 13:07 »
:lol:  :lol:

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
Is it ok for me to keep chickens?

Started by easey558 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 14:09
by mdueal

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 36 queries.