new toy

• 11 Replies

goodegg

new toy
« on: August 12, 2009, 20:03 »
got an old mayfield allen mower with about four foot cut blade was hoping to post pics but got wrong size but will post pics tomorrow got it fired up a bit lumpy at the moment hoping to sort it out tomorrow  got all the gears working and the cutter bar all working just right for my rough grass and weeds good fun getting these old machines working again thought i would need new points but with second clean an reset it fired up second pull im not sure how to clean the carb but with pics tomorrow hope for some help its a briggs and stratton engine  thanks all eddie.

Bigbadfrankie

Re: new toy
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 22:30 »
Get the pics up
always have a target
and an objective.

goodegg

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 19:21 »
got pics any chance of second hand exaust or do i make new one
DSCF1403.JPG
DSCF1412.JPG

goodegg

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 19:23 »
moe pics
DSCF1410.JPG
DSCF1406.JPG

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 19:28 »
I bpught a new one for a briggs 3hp and it was only £4

goodegg

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 19:46 »
thats cheap i bet its not that cheap over here i would like to find out what horse power this one is is there any way to tell and also what year it is

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 20:07 »
There is a number on the briggs that can even tell you the date of birth of the person who assembled it ;)
Gwiz is the resident expert on how to translate the number once you have found it

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 20:52 »
Hello,
If the engine cowling is original then there should be the Model, Type and Code numbers stamped into it...they may be on the top or on the flat vertical side that faces the carb/airfilter.?
 Sometimes some detective work is needed if much paint has been added or if rust has wormed its way in...perhaps tracing paper and pencil job.?

The first set of numbers give the engine size, build and fitments..I couldn't do that without a guide ref ;)
 But the last set, Code, are the ones that give the date of engine build...Year, Month, Day, Factory....
  The numbers give all the answers ref spare parts ..and ability to get a parts diagram/list download...and perhaps a representative operating manual.(not repair manual) from;
http://www2.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/manual_and_more/index.aspx?buy

Once on the parts page you will see a range of exhaust mufflers to suit the engine in different applications....most garden machinery agents will stock a certain selection...a clue to prices might come from here; http://www.briggsbits.co.uk/

I think it looks at least 7hp??  maybe 8hp.??

There looks some paint and corrosion ..but hope you can find the numbers :)

All the best,
            "Dori"

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 20:54 »
..I have just realised :ohmy: :blush:..perhaps there is a clue in the Mayfield Seven photo....could it be a 7hp ;)

"Dori" ;)

goodegg

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 21:15 »
thanks to you all i will look for code plates tomorrow and thanks frankie i bet hes dead now managed to get carb gasket today no prob had it all running as you can see by picsthanks to you all

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 21:32 »
Hello,
If the engine cowling is original then there should be the Model, Type and Code numbers stamped into it...they may be on the top or on the flat vertical side that faces the carb/airfilter.?
 Sometimes some detective work is needed if much paint has been added or if rust has wormed its way in...perhaps tracing paper and pencil job.?

The first set of numbers give the engine size, build and fitments..I couldn't do that without a guide ref ;)
 But the last set, Code, are the ones that give the date of engine build...Year, Month, Day, Factory....
  The numbers give all the answers ref spare parts ..and ability to get a parts diagram/list download...and perhaps a representative operating manual.(not repair manual) from;
http://www2.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/manual_and_more/index.aspx?buy

Once on the parts page you will see a range of exhaust mufflers to suit the engine in different applications....most garden machinery agents will stock a certain selection...a clue to prices might come from here; http://www.briggsbits.co.uk/

I think it looks at least 7hp??  maybe 8hp.??

There looks some paint and corrosion ..but hope you can find the numbers :)

All the best,
            "Dori"

So now youKnow  :) ;) ::)

Gwiz

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 05:48 »
Just as Dori says above. You may have trouble reading the engine numbers, so a little wire brush work might be in order!
the exhaust is still available, both as a pattern part, and the original briggs bit., so should cost around £6-ish. I expect that you will find one on ebay, if you don't have a near-by mower workshop. :)

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 39 queries.