Tomatoes

• 4 Replies

Country Bill

Tomatoes
« on: May 02, 2008, 12:01 »
Would  greenhouse tomatoes do better if planted in the large compost bags instead of the small growbags,as i had a poor crop last year, they seemed to stop growing.Would the extra compost help or would it be a waste of money/space.

compostqueen

Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:05 »
I pour out the compost into largish containers, about 12". you're probably right though about the larger compost bags. Our growbags have the same stuff in them as our compost (at our lotty shop) so I reckon you'll be fine  :D  Can't do any harm  :D

noshed

Tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:07 »
Some people turn gro bags on their end to get a bigger depth of compost or put pots into the hole in the gro bag to get a bigger depth.
They do need a lot of feeding though - maybe that was the problem.
I plant all mine outside because they get scorched in the greenhouse and feed them liberally with comfrey tea. I also plant them too close together, don't stake them properly and get a good crop, these last two years anyway.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Country Bill

Tomatoes
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 12:15 »
which plants do you recommend for flavour,some seem very watery,others too acidy.

Trillium

Tomatoes
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 15:16 »
For all of us, we have to try a variety of toms to see what we like. My favourite is a low acid yellow one, which others find bland. My friend prefers them more tart, another friend prefers them drier. Each to his own taste is a very  good saying when it comes to toms.
Try to not grow the same varieties you find in the grocery shops, nor the very common seeds available everywhere. Check around for some recommended unusual seeds like the old heirloom toms which are still available if you look. That's why you're growing yours - better flavour.

xx
Tomatoes

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 21:57
by DD.
smiley
Tomatoes

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 16, 2016, 13:40
by Goneterseed
xx
tomatoes.

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 09:38
by mumofstig
xx
tomatoes

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 25, 2015, 08:11
by spuriousmonkey

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 38 queries.