Potatoes and beetroot

• 11 Replies

ches

• Experienced Member
Potatoes and beetroot
« on: June 17, 2019, 18:06 »
I知 so excited today. Just called on the allotment on my way home to water the tomatoes, checked on the other beds. I have a few potatoes and beetroot seedlings coming through.

Just for peace of mind, please could someone confirm these are potatoes and beetroot.

Thank you.
F8F41FCB-E8E6-4CCF-AB22-03F443B86F93.jpeg
651DFC02-417E-4853-A1BA-AAFA8FFF94EB.jpeg
Ches

MarkC

Re: Potatoes and beetroot
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 18:26 »
Look like it. Your potatoes are only just coming through? You must have put them in quite late, presumably maincrop? I have been harvesting new potatoes this week, but they went in late March.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 18:32 »
Potatoes and beetroot - confirmed sighting!! :)

Looks as if they are on the way. Not sure (as has been said) when you planted them but you can go earlier next year. I've not lifted any potatoes yet but they are probably ready - mine went in mid March I think.

Beetroot - some people are lifting theirs to eat - mine are getting there and I have another lot ready to transplant presently growing in plugs.

So... yours are looking fine - you will need to be patient.. :)

Well done by the way. Great isn't it... keep going :)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 18:38 »
Potatoes and beetroot - confirmed sighting!! :)

Looks as if they are on the way. Not sure (as has been said) when you planted them but you can go earlier next year. I've not lifted any potatoes yet but they are probably ready - mine went in mid March I think.

Beetroot - some people are lifting theirs to eat - mine are getting there and I have another lot ready to transplant presently growing in plugs.

So... yours are looking fine - you will need to be patient.. :)

Well done by the way. Great isn't it... keep going :)

Thanks Paul.

I致e only had the plot 2 weeks. And the potatoes and beetroot have been in about a week and a half. I知 late with everything.

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 19:33 »
Look like it. Your potatoes are only just coming through? You must have put them in quite late, presumably maincrop? I have been harvesting new potatoes this week, but they went in late March.

Only had the plot too weeks so I知 a bit late with everything. I知 very new to all this haha

Pescador

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 20:25 »
Congratulations. Any harvest in the first year will feel fantastic!
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 20:51 »

Only had the plot too weeks so I知 a bit late with everything. I知 very new to all this haha

You might struggle with spuds this late. Keep a very close eye on them for signs of blight. It's already around. I found a couple of leaves with blight just today  :mad:

It's a good idea (for next year) to keep this little bit of gardening wisdom in mind: Get your "lates" in early, and your "earlies" in late.

Personally I've pretty much given up on MC (lates) potatoes, and just grow 1st and 2nd earlies... although I'm considering finding a blight resistant MC variety or two to try next year.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 23:01 »
Farmers put their spuds in end of May up here, my mate has also just sown some on his plot so hopefully you will enjoy them.
Loads of time for the beetroots too.

Not to sure about growing parsnips tho, it looks very stoney at the moment.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 12:06 »
Two weeks?

Flipping good start then!! Well done you - two very good crops to start off with as well in my opinion.

Not too late for beans I would have thought... French climbers maybe.. Whatever you grow it is a good time to experiment and enjoy.

Good luck - and remember every year is different no matter what you plan - it is all dependent upon the weather. Just enjoy and relish the harvest as well as the growing.  :)

Aidy - I didn't realise farmers put potatoes in so late - learn something new but I guess it makes sense. How on earth do they avoid blight in warm, wet summers? (Spray or is it variety choice?)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:09 by Paul Plots »

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 12:25 »
Two weeks?

Flipping good start then!! Well done you - two very good crops to start off with as well in my opinion.

Not too late for beans I would have thought... French climbers maybe.. Whatever you grow it is a good time to experiment and enjoy.

Good luck - and remember every year is different no matter what you plan - it is all dependent upon the weather. Just enjoy and relish the harvest as well as the growing.  :)

Aidy - I didn't realise farmers put potatoes in so late - learn something new but I guess it makes sense. How on earth do they avoid blight in warm, wet summers? (Spray or is it variety choice?)

I do have a wigwam of runner beans and a patch of cabbages but they weren't grown from seed. They were gifts from plot neighbours and my grandad.

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 13:03 »
Two weeks?

I do have a wigwam of runner beans and a patch of cabbages but they weren't grown from seed. They were gifts from plot neighbours and my grandad.

That's a great way to start - people should help each other out - god luck with them!!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 14:01 »
To be honest Paul no idea why so late, I just notice them as I come into to work, having said that I have seen over the years fields of rotting spuds due to heavy sustained rain but they know best  ???

xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
BEETROOT: what to do with them

Started by tode on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 09:37
by Sue32
question
BEETROOT

Started by GLENWIL on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 11, 2012, 07:09
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 50 queries.