Banana Wrestling

• 4 Replies

Loubs

• Experienced Member
Banana Wrestling
« on: May 16, 2010, 08:20 »
Hello,

My banana plant is looking a bit worse for wear. The main central stem I think has died off but lots of green shoots are coming out of the suckers all around it. I'd like to lift it from it's container and sort it out, removing the dead centre & separating & repotting all the smaller plants. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this, and when would be the best time of year to do it?

(It's quite large, so will take two of us to wrestle it out of it's pot I think)

Thanks.

catllar

Re: Banana Wrestling
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 17:15 »
Spring is about right for repotting these. Have you had it long and have you had it die back on you before? Has the centre gone soggy? Cos if it hasn't you could probably just cut it out and leave the rest undisturbed. If it has gone soggy (does it live outside?) it'll need repotting for sure.

DavidT

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 19:53 »
I planted my 10 year old multistem banana in the ground last year, It flourished ending up with 14 stems and 2 metre long leaves. Then we had the coldest winter in 30 years and it was decimated.  :ohmy:I had to cut down all the stems to ground level, though they are coming back now.  :(I intend digging it up shortly and dividing and potting up the stems. They will be going in the greenhouse over winter from now on.  ::) :D

prakash_mib

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 11:44 »
might be a daff question. do you really get bananas out of it for eating or is it just orna"mental" ?
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

DavidT

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 20:09 »
The usual one you buy is Musa Basjoo, the hardy japanese banana, If you buy the sweet banana, Ensete var` they will produce fruit under the right conditions. :D

xx
Banana plant

Started by casper on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 08, 2012, 13:12
by casper

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 35 queries.