Leeks gone to seed?

• 2 Replies

Mash Mad

• Experienced Member
Leeks gone to seed?
« on: August 27, 2008, 22:04 »
hi green finger here. I have been growing leeks for the first time this year and some of them have gone to seed, why is this? Have I left them in the ground to long:?: I let them grow about 2feet long and they looked pritty good, there was a middle shoot that had a small round head on it, knowing when to pick my leeks can be difficult for a first timer like me.
When I cut one of them to cook there was a round stem that lead up to the top of the round ball on the middle shoot. Can any one help me with my problem as I would like to grow leeks again next year. Maybe for a show.

Trillium

Leeks gone to seed?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 00:04 »
You could have a few problems actually. One, that its very possible in the packaging line that an ornamental allium seed, or 2, somehow got into your leek pkg. Or, that with the strange weather conditions this year, the plants were fooled into throwing up seed stalks instead of producing proper roots. It sometimes happens and you just have to accept these things. Try a fresh pkg of leek seeds for next year from a different supplier and you should do fine. Also, if the plant gets too dry it's also a signal to make seed instead of root.  Lots of manure and compost in the soil will both feed the leeks and retain moisture.

Mash Mad

• Experienced Member
Leeks gone to seed?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 09:47 »
Thanks for your advice Trillium.

xx
help with seed id

Started by Spana on General Gardening

49 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 18:46
by iggyboy
xx
Carnations from seed???

Started by loopylottie on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 19:00
by sion01
xx
pelleted seed

Started by oldwill on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post September 24, 2007, 23:50
by gobs
xx
How to sow wildflower seed?

Started by DanielCoffey on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2018, 12:11
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 38 queries.