Magnolia Tree

• 7 Replies

Hawkins

Magnolia Tree
« on: April 11, 2010, 22:08 »
Someone approached my father today and asked him to cut down a beautifull magnolia tree in their garden. Dad refused and asked if we could come and dig it up.

Questions
1. can you move a magnolia tree
2. can we do it now.
3. any tips on moving

I think the tree is about 20 yrs old possibly a bit older but definately worth trying to save. It hasnt flowered yet.

Do you think it can be done.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Re: Magnolia Tree
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 22:31 »
Mmmmmm, first thought was no chance! but, when you see the Chelsea Flower Show and things like that, thay have some humungous trees and plants in the show gardens  and they're shipped into the grounds, so there must be a way of doing it, only problem is I've no ideas how!!!! Someone very knowledgable will hopefully be along in a minute with a far better answer! Jude

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:52 »
What grounds does the person want the tree cutting down, i would be less than impressed about taking something down that i wanted there >:( If its light issue tell them to get stood on.

Why is the first question ?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:54 by Rangerkris »
Thanks
Kris

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:29 »
The worst that could happen is that it dies, which it will if left where it is anyway, so all that is lost in trying is effort. Good luck!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:54 »
As tosca said the worst that will happen is that it will die, so dig it up with as many of the fine roots surrounded by as much soil as you can, make sure you get the whole of the tap root if possible then when you replant it make sure it has enough stays holding it really steady. It could go into shock and lose it leaves and buds but this doesn't mean it is dead just keep it watered and supported then hopefully it may start to grow next year. If it does die then you will have a big hole which you can then convert into a pond and get ducks  ;)  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 13:21 »
As tosca said the worst that will happen is that it will die, so dig it up with as many of the fine roots surrounded by as much soil as you can, make sure you get the whole of the tap root if possible then when you replant it make sure it has enough stays holding it really steady. It could go into shock and lose it leaves and buds but this doesn't mean it is dead just keep it watered and supported then hopefully it may start to grow next year. If it does die then you will have a big hole which you can then convert into a pond and get ducks  ;)  :lol:
Love your thinking. :D

Hawkins

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 22:15 »
Thanks Guys but I think we have decided not to do it, It would break my heart if it dies. We have talked the owner of it into ringing a local garden centre and seeing if they want it. .They are coming out to have a look tomorrow.

JOY:- I already got 5 ducks and hopefully 2 more on the way from a very special person on the forum.

Thanks for all the replies.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 05:59 »
So therefore you need another pond - you know you won't stop at just two more ducks Em  :lol: xx

xx
Magnolia tree

Started by Speachless on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 13:46
by Speachless
clip
Magnolia tree

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2016, 12:45
by New shoot
xx
magnolia tree question

Started by starry on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 12:36
by starry
xx
Magnolia

Started by Novice on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 10:20
by gobs

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 38 queries.