bamboo going yellow

• 8 Replies

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
bamboo going yellow
« on: March 25, 2010, 13:54 »
i recently got a bamboo from a friend, i split it into two one is in shade and is doing ok ish and the other one is in full sun. why is it going yellow it gets watered often and has plenty of food!

any ideas?

Trillium

Re: bamboo going yellow
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 14:15 »
There could be 3 potential problems here.
Bamboos don't need to be overfed, which is possibly what you're doing without realizing it.
Bamboos also don't like more than 5 hours of direct sunlight per day so you might want to check how much yours is getting; if it's getting more than 5, then the leaves are getting scorched and the whole plant will eventually die unless moved to dappled shade.
Also, bamboos shed their leaves  at different times of the year within one plant, so you'll often have a combination of yellow and green leaves, which is normal.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 06:50 »
Wow trillium i didnt know that they only need 5 hours of light, would this slow there groth as we have one in the garden that just never seems to do anything but remain green lol. Im happy with it but this could be the problem as it get sunlight from 9am till dusk.
Thanks
Kris

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 20:04 »
I`ve never known bamboos to have too much trouble with sunlight. Like everything else they tend to get scorched in windy conditions. However, they don`t want to be overwatered or overfed. :D

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 22:04 »
Is it too well fed?

My Bamboo thrives on benevolent neglect. It gets loads of breeze and is not absolutely in full sun and seems to love it. I only top dress it every two years if I remember.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 22:31 »
The only thing my two bamboos have in common is that they are both clump-forming varieties (i.e. they are not likely to suddenly spring up through the floorboards in my kitchen!)

One is tall and semi-deciduous, the other more compact and evergreen; they are both in open positions in the garden, get the occasional handful of Growmore or chicken manure if I remember, are attacked with the hedge-trimmer when they get too wide across and neither of them seems to mind a bit!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 23:06 »
i recently got a bamboo from a friend, i split it into two one is in shade and is doing ok ish and the other one is in full sun. why is it going yellow it gets watered often and has plenty of food!

any ideas?

I have a theory you should regard it like a teenager in its room...leave well alone and only go tidy up when things look desperate

monsta

• Experienced Member
  • Nuts!
    • www.bedlington.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 15:58 »

any ideas?

I have a theory you should regard it like a teenager in its room...leave well alone and only go tidy up when things look desperate

will do its seems alive underneath i'll leave it for a few month see if it comes back  :) if not it can go in the compost bin!

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 12:19 »
I had one in full sun and it wasn't a mass of lush leaves like I'd hoped and it finally died. I recently found out that they don't like salt winds which we get a lot of.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Bamboo

Started by SmithyCottages on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 11:40
by SUTTY1
xx
bamboo

Started by chickpeacurry on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 14, 2016, 10:25
by chickpeacurry
xx
Bamboo.....

Started by mobilekat on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post April 20, 2014, 17:22
by Lulu
xx
Bamboo

Started by JohnB on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 13:32
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 29 queries.