Lady Cristal Potato question

• 7 Replies

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
Lady Cristal Potato question
« on: July 08, 2011, 09:41 »
I haven't grown Lady Cristal before and have had a grub around a couple of weeks ago and felt they could do with a bit more time. The tops of them have now all but died off. Am I ok just to cut the foliage back and leave the potato in the ground as I can't use them all at once or do I need to dig them all up in one go.

Thanks

hogwarden

Re: Lady Cristal Potato question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 10:58 »
You can leave them for a short while.
The problem of slug damage rears its ugly head the longer you leave them and earlies do not keep well so a couple of weeks at the most and prepare for some losses! Also I find LC a bit prone to blackleg and if some of your dying off plants have this prob. then they will not keep at all-get `em out now and there will be some that are already grotty.
Best to eat them fast or share with family asap.-IMV. ::)

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 12:33 »
Hi Hogwarden

Yes I have begun to dig them up and they are not as fruitful as I expected. Got a few the size of peas still.

I am only a garden veg grower and very nearly gave up growing my spuds as the previous years when I have boiled them they just seem to break up. LC does seem to hold together better and the flavour is good.

Have you got any suggestions for next year before I throw the towel in for good!!

fatbelly

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 13:24 »
These are some of my LC's that I dug today.
They are from one root although this is not the whole root because we had some for lunch. I have been lifting them since about the 10th June.

It could be your soil that has affected the yield.

99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

hogwarden

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 16:11 »
Hi Hogwarden

Yes I have begun to dig them up and they are not as fruitful as I expected. Got a few the size of peas still.

I am only a garden veg grower and very nearly gave up growing my spuds as the previous years when I have boiled them they just seem to break up. LC does seem to hold together better and the flavour is good.

Have you got any suggestions for next year before I throw the towel in for good!!

;)LC are a good tasty spud but they do need the 12 weeks growing time and a bit longer doesn`t hurt if you want them biggy size-we all get a few peas! Use a potato fertilizer when you next sow (assuming you didn`t), does make a big difference.
Rocket always grow well but some find them bland and they can break up a bit when cooked-but I like `em.
Vales Emerald (if you can find them) are superb and crop well too -tasty too like LC.
Persevere/did you earth up/ did you water in the dry spell/when did you sow???
 ::)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 17:57 »
I don't think it's surprising that some spud yields are down this year owing to the very dry spell, and also if the tops got a bit frosted by all those late cold nights.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Chrysalis

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 20:06 »

Was that a trowel? :lol:

Our lady Christl  were fabulous.  Just finished them tonight with our own carrots, mangetout and runners.  Lovely with seabass. mmmmm

Will certainly doing them again next year.

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 20:29 by mumofstig »

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 20:37 »
I don't think it's surprising that some spud yields are down this year owing to the very dry spell, and also if the tops got a bit frosted by all those late cold nights.
Mine were really badly hit by the frost, despite all of the earthing up and fleeceing i did. Never grown LC before but i have noticed that the couple of roots i have dug up have been a bit on the lean side - taste great though so will try them again next year, perhaps planting a bit later and harvesting a bit later.
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

xx
Seed Potato Lady Christl

Started by digger1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 16:31
by HuwG
xx
Another potato question!

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 14:05
by Mitsy
xx
Potato Question/Help

Started by Shieldsy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 16:02
by fatcat1955
xx
hello to everyone and a potato question (again)

Started by laalaa on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 10, 2007, 23:52
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 36 queries.