Storing & Drying Produce

• 5 Replies

manubrian

Storing & Drying Produce
« on: October 19, 2008, 14:37 »
Hello,

A question on storing and drying surplus produce. i have a field and orchard in SW Turkey but always find I have more produce than I can eat, preserve, feed to the goats or give away and selling would not be an economic option.

My current dilemma relates to sweet peppers, tomatoes and apples. I have a large surplus of these. Does anyone have any ideas please? I dry my surplus chilli peppers and this just involves spreading them in the sun for a few weeks. Could I do this with large sweet peppers? Some of my apples are damaged (and I have more than Daisy the donkey could eat in two winters!) should I prepare them in some way before drying? How are sundried tomatoes produced/treated?  Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Brian.

Poolfield2

Storing & Drying Produce
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 14:47 »
Now you see from the uk we don't find out about how to sun dry anything but I believe that things here get dried in a low Aga overnight. Hopefully someone from more exotic climes will pop along with useful advice later.

goose

• Experienced Member
Storing & Drying Produce
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 18:23 »
i slice my peppers on a baking sheet and freeze them.  once frozen, put them in a freezer bag.  they are never as good as fresh but still better than any shop bought produce.  i only use them in stews/sauces from frozen but they work really well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Storing & Drying Produce
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 22:34 »
spent few years in greece and we always sun dried tomatoes. worked a treat, spose you're still warm enough to do it 8)  Am I jealous or what have really missed the sun this year :cry:
Peppers i always grilled or roasted till skins slightly blackened, cooled em of and skinned then put them in jars topped with olive oil. Kept somewhere cool they lasted ages if could stop eating them :oops:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Storing & Drying Produce
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 22:37 »
PS forgot to say just halve the toms or quarter if the very big ones, sprinkle generously with salt and dry in sun. turn once thet start to dry. used to cover with old net curtain to keep flies off but locals didnt seem to mind :shock:  Good luck

Trillium

Storing & Drying Produce
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 04:56 »
Over here damaged apples are usually turned into cider. If I can get lots, I'll freeze it in plastic jugs. Otherwise, we can drink a 4L jug in no time flat.

xx
drying and storing basil

Started by Li on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 06, 2012, 23:37
by Li
xx
Drying/Storing Potatoes

Started by freefolk on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2017, 17:13
by freefolk
xx
Drying and storing marrowfat peas

Started by jonotaylor on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 07:40
by jonotaylor
xx
selling your produce

Started by arwen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post August 30, 2012, 20:26
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 39 queries.