Howard super gem

• 25 Replies

Magic rob

Howard super gem
« on: February 19, 2010, 14:31 »
Hi sorry if this is in the wrong place as I'm new but I've just become the proud owner of two Howard super gem rotovators as the old guy that I have shared the plot with for the last 5 years as passed away and left everything in his shed to me and could never work out what was in a large wooden crate till this morning when I got the biggest shock in my life to find a brand new one that was and never used anyway I hope some one can give me a bit of advice on how to get the other running as it's not been used for at least the 15 to 20 years so any info about them would be great so I can bring back some of the memories of when I was a kid watching him and my dad using something that I thought he had scraped years ago and his wife said she would love to see it in action once again many thanks rob

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Howard super gem
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 15:55 »
Hi Rob and welcome.  I don't know much about Howard's, but there are several people on here who know a lot about them, so you will probably get lots of advice!

Just wanted to say how lucky you are to have them.  My Brian loves Howard's and is VERY jealous to think you not have only 2, but one of them is brand new!!!

You lucky thing!   :D :D

Magic rob

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 17:40 »
Thanks grannie I've just been round to the house to collect them and asked his wife about why one was never used and she told me that tommy's friend had bought one then died in a pit local to me and he bought it from his family for 30 pounds with my dad and that's how he got it and the reason behind the other one not being used for the last 15 to 20 years he could no longer handle it so they bought a smaller one that he gave me when he became bad at walking so that I could help after my dad past on and his wife asked me one of the strangest question why i liked spending time with him and what we got upto when we was on the plot and I told her that even though there was nearly 50 years between us it was like my second dad and the next thing was would I still cut the grass and do the weeding as well as look after the greenhouse as she is unable to do it and the answer is yes I'll just have to get use to using the old qualcast hand mower I will try to get some pic's once I've clean them all up

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 18:12 »
This is one post that I am going to keep coming back to Rob.... 

Really sorry to hear your plot mate has passed on.   :(

It's great that the old chap decided to pass on the Howards to you.... what a "fantastic find in a box" !! Amazing!  :)

I have Howard 200 that my dad bought 2nd hand about 42 years ago. It cost him a bomb then (more than a week's wages) but it is still going strong. I use it once or twice a year and it is a briliant little (?) machine. A new Howard would be worth its weight almost in gold  :)  :)  :)

Can we have some photos of both machines?
Have you got an operators manual?

I was amazed at how many parts need lubricating when I eventually manged to buy a second hand manual for the 200! I'm sure my dad never oiled some of the parts that need oiling :blink:

Modern two-wheel "tractors" that take rotovator attachments seem so light by comparison with the Howards - I think they are still an unbeatable machine of their kind.

Jealous, me??
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 22:07 »
Hi 
Rob
sorry about your companion
I will check my books but i thinki have the manuals to The gem and if I have I will send them to John to post.
But what a find

I wish it was me
always have a target
and an objective.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 22:34 »
See Rob, everyone is jealous!!!   :D :D

I too am sorry that your old friend has passed on, but we all get our time, and its nice that you were like a son to him all these years.

But you will always remember him when you use your Howard!

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 14:01 »
Hi Rob, let us know which models you have as there seems to be loads of them and different engines but i seem to have most manuals.
I see the operaors manual is already up on the site

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 14:28 »
Come on Rob.... where's those photos!!

If we can't play with it at least we can stare..  8)

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 14:43 »
Hi Rob,I am also from wakey, where abouts is your plot?
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 14:48 »
Hi Rob,I am also from wakey, where abouts is your plot?

Warning! Warning!

"You can look but not touch!" These Howards are securely hidden away and no amount of teasing or coaxing will get anyone to reveal their hidden position......... certainly not on a public forum.

If anyone does want to get in touch face 2 face use PM to keep the details strictly private.

There are too many would-be villans out there to take chances  :blink:

Thanks for your continued care and caution!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 16:21 »
Well spotted Learner, I'm sure Jamie didn't mean anything by the remark, but you can never be too careful these days!

We have to be careful with the turkeys around Christmas time, but people need to know where I am or they'd never get a turkey! lol  But the shed is well alarmed and Pennydog is well armed!!!   :lol: :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 16:57 »
Well spotted Learner, I'm sure Jamie didn't mean anything by the remark, but you can never be too careful these days!

We have to be careful with the turkeys around Christmas time, but people need to know where I am or they'd never get a turkey! lol  But the shed is well alarmed and Pennydog is well armed!!!   :lol: :lol:

I'm positive Jamie's question was well above board.... but I'd hate for us to advertise to those who lurk and cannot be trusted...  ;)

It's just my wary nature..   ;)

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 17:00 »
Sorry if my question was inaproiate, I shall know  better next time  :(  Sorry if i caused any offence etc. It was simply me being nosey like usual. Sorry

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 17:05 »
Sorry if my question was inaproiate, I shall know  better next time  :(  Sorry if i caused any offence etc. It was simply me being nosey like usual. Sorry

No offence what-so-ever....  ;) Sorry if I over-reacted.  :mellow:

I was just worried that a reply about "where" might be read by someone wanting a couple of beautiful machines for nothing - addresses / personal details are too easily picked up by "that-lot" that might use them for the wrong reasons.

Try a personal message...  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 17:19 »

It wasn't inappropriate Jamie, just need to be asked through a more private route than the forum. We live in a far from perfect world, and sadly we need to remember this  :( :(

Learner gave sound advice about how to be nosy safely   :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Mountfield M1 Super

Started by allotment-bill on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post November 16, 2011, 18:59
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
How do I use my Landmaster Super 88

Started by Flying Cyril on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post November 04, 2006, 20:39
by Flying Cyril
xx
Landmaster super 88

Started by Nigel on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post October 15, 2006, 22:21
by muntjac
xx
wolseley super major

Started by broxibear on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 22, 2008, 13:58
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 35 queries.