remove bed edges???

• 3 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
remove bed edges???
« on: January 16, 2010, 15:14 »
At the moment across 1 half of my garden, I have 2 -12' x 4' raised beds  with 18" path between them.
I am thinking of taking another 2'-3' off this lawn (still no sign of an allotment >:( ) as the only way to gain a little more growing space.

If I make each bed a foot wider I wouldn't reach the middle :(
So would I be better off to take up the path across the middle, so that I have one large bed, of 12' x 12' and just use the gaps between rows as my paths? and maybe just walk on boards?
Would this work....what are your ideas, please?

Paul Plots

Re: remove bed edges???
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 15:52 »
Using the planks as temp paths sounds good to me... that way you can change the size & shape of your planting areas as you wish. Using the boards (if the are not too heavy or too long) will give you access for planing / weeding / watering when and where you want it....

But all of this from someone who has no raised-bed - my soil is fine and I can still bend down so don't need them  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 16:05 »
I can still bend down so don't need them 
:lol:

Personally I find it easier to garden 'bottom up' as it were. Kneeling :ohmy: now that's a different matter :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 17:00 »
Talking of "bed-edges”…..

I ordered a foot-rest for my 95 yr old dad to stop him sliding down in bed as he prefers to sit up slightly to help his breathing. He has already had an electronic adjustable bed, a sloping head-rest and a blanket-rest to keep the covers from resting on his feet. The foot-rest was next on the list of “have to try”.

Fortunately my 90 year old mother has a sense of humour… we wondered how long it would be before Dad had a problem with the foot-rest. (One night – as it was fitted yesterday). Apparently the lambs-wool cover made his feet too warm (as opposed to being too cold!) but he is going to try it out again tonight with a pillow on it!!!

Now there’s talk (from Dad) of investigating a (what is the opposite of “headboard”) to go on the other end of the bed.

All was looking good with the foot-rest until my mum decided the bed-edges were being squashed by the strap to hold the foot-rest in place!! I had visions of the pair of them sliding down and getting their feet stuck under the strap!   ::)

Never a dull moment!  :blink: :unsure: :wub:  You just have to laugh....:lol:

xx
Brown edges on leaves

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 11:03
by fatcat1955
xx
Winter cauliflowers a bit brown about the edges

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2021, 08:59
by Anton
xx
Drying Leaf Edges On French Beans

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 23:10
by pigeonpie
xx
dig in or remove

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 16:31
by DD.

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 36 queries.